samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Helpful Study Tips for the New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It seems like syllabus week here at TCNJ is always just syllabus day. Classes start to pick up after the second week and if you aren’t on top of your work, then it becomes easy to fall behind in your classes. Here are some helpful study tips to get you through the upcoming semester: 1. Turn off your phone: Whenever I tell my friends that I turn off my phone, they respond with “Why don’t you just turn it on airplane or do not disturb mode?” The problem is the phone is still on. You can stop in the middle and check snapchat or instagram- almost mindlessly. Turning the phone off reminds you that you need to study and shouldn’t waste your time on your apps.   

2. Study directly after class (if you can):  If you have a gap in the middle of classes, you can review the material you just learned. It will help you retain class information better and you’re less likely to forget the material you learned in class. This will cut down on your studying later as an exam approaches and even prevents cramming! 

3. Adjust study techniques based on the class: In some classes I record the lectures and re-listen to them to make sure I caught all the details in class. In some other classes I find that I can do well as long as I review what is in the textbook and the slides. You can study smarter by selecting the study technique based on the class.  This tip becomes especially helpful if you have standardized tests approaching or exams. Make your schedule of the day and see how it fits in with the remainder of the week. You’ll find that sometimes you can study one lecture a day but other times you might have to study more depending on how soon an exam is. 

5. Take short breaks in between to keep yourself going:  It’s really easy to burn out in the middle of the semester. As classes pick up, you find that your studying routine becomes very monotonous. Take little breaks in between studying. Watch a cartoon on Netflix, or grab a coffee with your friend. When you feel less overwhelmed, head back to your room and continue on with your studies.   

A Junior Biology major with side passions of coffee, fashion, makeup, and Netflix. 
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.