This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

To some, late winter brings sadness, misery, and an overall bat of seasonal depression. I mean, come on, we already got through all the fun holidays, the first snowfall, and we’re even done with Valentine’s Day! It’s a hard time of the year but we want to keep your mind happy and excited for the next season on the way – SPRING!

To music lovers, this is the best time of the year. By the month of February, almost all music festivals for the upcoming warmer months have begun releasing information for the next year’s theme, lineup, and ticket sales. Here’s a guide to all you need to know about music festivals!

Know the festival that best suits you. If you don’t know this just yet, then feel free to test the waters! There are different festivals for different types of people and lovers of different genres. Need a recommendation? If you like pop and EDM try out Electric Daisy Carnival or Electric Zoo. If you’re more into indie style try out Panorama (the NYC Coachella). Or if you like a little bit of everything, go for Firefly or Governor’s Ball.

Buy your tickets early. This is a big one, especially for those that have their heart set on one specific festival. The earlier you get your tickets, the cheaper – and I mean way, way cheaper! Visit the website or the social media pages for the festival and see if there’s a subscription you can sign up with to get emails. I’ve always found that this was the best way of knowing first when the “early bird” tickets go on sale.

Payment plans are your friend! Sometimes going to three days of a festival, or maybe even more than one festival a season, can really break your bank. Remember that most of these shows offer payment plans, and you should use them to your advantage! It’s a lot easier making the monthly payments than it is to take such a huge chunk of money out of a college student’s pocket!

Plan your outfits in advance. This is another trick that can save you money! If you start shopping and looking around for something to wear in advance, you won’t be in the crazy rush the weekend before to buy a whole new wardrobe for a multi-day festival! Look online, in advance, and remember that sales are your friends!

Plan transportation. This is something you don’t want to be stuck figuring out last-minute, especially if you’re heading over to Randall’s Island and there’s a ferry involved, or if you’re going on a road-trip to attend MysteryLand. Make sure you have a safe way of getting to and home from the festival before hand!

Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.