Erin McNaught: A “Style Guru” Among Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It seems that no matter the weather, TCNJ has its fair share of “fashionistas,” or people with great style and taste in the fashion sense. Simply look around anywhere on campus, from the library to the student center, and you’re bound to see some awesome outfits. What if, amongst all this great fashion, you were chosen to take pictures of these outfits, write about them, and even get to slap it on your resume as an internship? 

For Erin McNaught, this dream became her reality. Erin applied for website College Fashionista’s Style Guru for TCNJ after her best friend, Jen, started a branch here at our school. On every Monday for the entire fall semester, Erin would find people on campus with awesome clothes, snap a picture, write an article and submit it for College Fashionista. “I’ve always been really interested in fashion and clothes, and I love seeing what other people are wearing around campus! CF gave me the opportunity to combine my love of fashion with my love of writing,” says Erin.

As a Style Guru, Erin submitted “Style Advice of the Week,” articles to her editors, and although they would never correct her articles, they would always provide back feedback as the week went on. Erin was also required to make a twitter account to publicize her articles, as well as post her articles to facebook each week. The greatest thing about the internship was that Erin, as an English major, got to write articles that her formal classes usually wouldn’t permit. Working with College Fashionista really opened her eyes to what else one can do within the confines of the English major. “I wasn’t always so happy with majoring in English, but CF showed me that there are so many creative things you can do with an English degree that I hadn’t realized before.”

So now that her semester of interning is over, what’s next for this seriously stylish ex-Guru? Erin is continuing her English major and double major/eventual masters of Special Education, as well as possibly adding a Journalism minor, thanks to her internship with College Fashionista. She’s also been cast in an independent student film that is set to start producing this semester, and she’s incredibly active in her sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon. So if you see Erin romping around campus with her legendary Buzz Lightyear backpack, be sure to stop her and say hey!

Erin’s semester of fashion articles can be found here.

Jessica is one half of the fantastic duo founding Her Campus on the leafy suburban campus that is The College of New Jersey. A Journalism major and Communications minor in the Class of 2012, she is a native of Pennsylvania and an adoptive resident of New Jersey. That's why she can't fist pump, but can pump gas. Before Her Campus, Jessica was a newspaper reporter, communications assistant and world traveler, having studied and interned abroad in London. When she's not writing or talking up a storm, Jessica can be found bargain shopping, catching up on a good book, fiddling with her camera or attempting to stay in shape. Other passions include hummus, tickling those ivories on the piano, meeting new people and all things Her Campus.