A Definitive Ranking of Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Amidst the stress of life, sometimes you just need a pick-me-up and for me, that comes in the form of dessert (usually chocolate something). Although dessert may not be the healthiest food choice, you deserve to have a little junk food every once in a while. Wondering what to pig out on? I’ve got you covered with a list of my top 5 favorite desserts.

1. Chocolate Chip Cookies

This may be the most basic dessert, but it is definitely the most delicious and I’m not talking about store-bought Chips Ahoy, I mean the real deal: homemade chocolate chip cookies, because they’re just a million times better.

2. Chocolate Ice Cream (or any ice cream flavor really)

I could eat ice cream all the time, and though chocolate is my favorite, I could eat more than a few scoops of any flavor, except maybe strawberry. And guess what? It doesn’t matter how full you are after dinner because in the wise words of my cousin, “Ice cream slips right through the cracks.”

3. Chocolate Mousse

I don’t know if you’re noticing a pattern yet, but chocolate is weakness. What makes Chocolate Mousse so great, though, is there’s so many ways you can have it: in a cake, as pudding, as a cheesecake, etc… I don’t know about you, but that sounds like absolute bliss to me.

4. Brownies

Again, I’m not talking about store-bought brownies, I’m referring to the gooey goodness of homemade brownies. They’re so easy to make and the end result is definitely worth a little bit of baking time. If you want to get creative, add Oreo and cookie dough into the mix and life is even better.

5. Cupcakes

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t smile when eating a cupcake, and in my opinion, they’re just so cute. My favorite type of cupcake, though, is chocolate cake with vanilla icing, even though I could eat the icing (and the cake part, for that matter) all by itself.

I hope all of you have time to go bake yourself something delicious this week!

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.