The Craziest Events of the 2013-2014 TCNJ School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It that’s time of the year again- late nights at the Lib, endless cups of coffee, and countless hours of studying until you feel your brain is going to explode. Before you know it, you’ll be packing up all your belongings and heading home for summer. But before you turn in that room key, let’s take a look back at the ‘13-‘14 school year here at TCNJ, one of the most eventful years yet!

Anxiously Awaiting the New Lib Café

Being that the nearest Starbucks is miles from campus, for weeks we were craving Caramel Frappuccino’s, fruit smoothies, and double espresso shots. The Education Café filled our sweet tooth for a while, but with long lines during Meal Equiv and fewer options, the opening of the Lib Café was one of the most anticipated events on campus.  The Café reopened at the end of September. This opening resulted in a new variety of products, two open registers and two lines to help alleviate the traffic flow during Meal Equiv.

Campus Town Groundbreaking Ceremony

The College welcomed Governor Chris Christie to campus on September 27th for the groundbreaking ceremony at the Campus Town Construction site. Christie gave a speech emphasizing the benefits this addition to the College will bring. Campus Town will consist of restaurants, exercise facilities and retail stores. How exciting! However, the date of Campus Town’s completion is still uncertain.

Changes to Homecoming

Homecoming is one of the few days of the year to push the books aside and have a little fun, for both students and alumni. Unfortunately, this year’s homecoming was a little different. The TCNJ Alumni Association decided that no cars would be allowed at Homecoming. Also, speakers weren’t allowed either as a guest DJ and cover band performed. Finally, Homecoming’s hours of fun were cut by a third. These changes didn’t go over so well within the student body.  However, fingers crossed that these changes aren’t permanent!

Snowed In

When the name “Dave Muha” appeared in students Gmail inboxes this year, countless students were brought to joy. Muha, in charge of notifying students of snow days and delayed openings, became a campus celebrity this year as he appeared frequently in student’s inboxes during the months of January and February. A Twitter parody account and T-shirts were even made in honor of this class canceling hero!

Quarantine

If you were in the Science Complex, the Lib, or Eick on April 12th, you may have had to stay a little longer than desired. Science class had gone completely wrong as a female student was exposed to benzyl bromide in the Science Complex. She made her way to the health services to report a tingling feeling on her arm, but before she got there, she made a stop at the Lib and Eick. Because benzyl bromide is a gas and can spread, the Science Complex, Eick, and the Lib were put under quarantine. Yikes! Thankfully it was only a little mishap and everyone was okay.

Wow! What a crazy year. I wonder what 2014-2015 has in store for TCNJ. Stay tuned, collegiettes!