Why Jeans are the Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Jeans. We all have them. But, do we really love them? If you had to pick between jeans and yoga pants, which are you going with? Yeah, that’s what I thought. Let’s cut to the chase – Here are just a few reasons why jeans are the worst. 

Waist band 

You know what’s great about the waist band on yoga pants? You can sit down and eat your lunch without feeling ashamed. Jeans, on the other hand, are judgemental. When you sit down, they remind you of that day you skipped the gym. When you eat, your stomach expands because you have food in there now. But your jeans don’t care, they will just suffocate you even more. 

They never fit right 

And I mean never. If your skinny jeans fit right in the waist, but they will be loose at your ankles. If they fit around your legs, they won’t fit right in the waist. And can we talk about the back gap for a second? What is up with that? Yoga pants don’t do that!

Rises

You’ve got your high rise, mid rise, and low rise. The high rise is for when you want to be hipster and can be super cute, but be careful. Choose the wrong pair and you’re an 80’s mom. The mid rise is a little better, except when you want to sit down or eat. Dear jean companies, our bodies change when we sit (and slouch). Please adjust your jean designing accordingly. Then you have low rise. Low rise is great when you never need to bend over because if you do, you’ll regret it. We just can’t win here. 

Jeggings

Jeggings are the hybrid baby of yoga pants and jeans but they still have their drawbacks – the jean part. Jeggings are better than jeans, I’ll give them that. But they still have the same problems as jeans and honestly, they aren’t yoga pants. Give me yoga pants or give me death am I right? 

$$$$$

The worst part about buying jeans (or jeggings) is shelling out tons of money for something that isn’t even comfortable. A good pair of jeans can be upwards $70 maybe even $100. I don’t have that kind of money and I’m guessing that, as a college student, you don’t have that kind of money either! You can find jeans for cheaper prices, but you can always tell they are cheaper. It’s a lose-lose situation.  Now I know what you’re thinking, yoga pants can be expensive too. But, the cheap yoga pants are just as comfortable and just as cute! Yoga pants work with us, jeans make us work for them. 

Everyone acts like they love them 

The absolute worst part of jeans is that everyone swears by them. A closet staple? Jeans. Cute, but casual? Jeans. Wearing matching shirts for work? You need jeans. Who decided jeans were going to be our go to pant? And, more importantly, why? 

This is a democracy and I vote for yoga pants to be our next go to pant! Who’s with me?  

Carlee Hebert is a Telecommunication Media Studies major at Texas A&M University. When she's not studying, Carlee is pinterest-ing vacation getaways and missing her puppy. Her life plan changes weekly, but she wants to tell people's stories for a living and one day win Dancing with the Stars.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.