National Affairs and Our Generation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

This past week I was fortunate enough to participate in Texas A&M’s MSC Student Conference on National Affairs along with 150 other student delegates from across the country, including schools such as West Point and the United States Naval Academy. 

At SCONA, we were divided into 14 “round-tables” to discuss a current national affairs issue that is impacting the world today. My group was titled “Back on the Bloc: Russia’s Hybrid War on the Baltics” and our task were to come up with a proposal for the National Security Advisor on our recommendations of what the United States should do to take action against Russia’s aggression on Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia. On the last day of the conference, each team was to present their policy paper addressed to the National Security Advisor in an effort to help with the issues at hand. 

By the end of this conference, I had this realization that our generation has the ability to impact the world and that we hold the future in our hands. Our efforts and getting involved can literally change peoples lives. The one concept that hit me hard was that these national affairs, such as the economic impact of narcotics and the looming threat of nuclear warfare, don’t just affect the countries involved, but they affect our lives as well and how our future will play out. Because they affect our own personal lives, even from across the world, it is our duty to do whatever we can to help. Our ideas and critical thinking on the national affairs issues seen today is what will be shaping the future, our future. 

So what will you do to help our generation help alleviate these national affairs problems seen across the world? How will you deal with policies and military action that is needed to actually change the situation? How will you deal with the “gray areas” that are a seemingly predisposed idea across all national affairs issues in general? 

We are the future and we will be the difference needed for these international problems.

Nicole Ploetz is a Junior Communication and Political Science double major at Texas A&M University and is a writer for TAMU HerCampus! She has a passion for writing, reading, dancing, painting, traveling the world, and playing golf. She loves all things outdoors, is a shopaholic, and loves her sorority. She also loves giving back to the community and hopes to one day pursue her dreams as an Entertainment Lawyer, aka be the next Elle Woods. Nicole aspires to live in Los Angeles-California, New York-New York, or Nashville-Tennessee with her best friends and rule the city. She is obsessed with sushi and her future husband is Dylan O'Brien (he just doesn't know it yet). 
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.