For Those ‘I haven’t got a thing to wear’ Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

We’ve all been there. It’s almost party time. You’ve got the hair. You’ve got the makeup. Your friends are talking excitedly in the hall, zipping the back of dresses and fastening shoe clasps. And you, well you are closing your eyes hoping that a magical dress will appear right before your eyes. It won’t. But next time you can avoid the distress and jump right into party mode by making a stop at Syracuse’s hot spots.

Boom Babies: 489 Westcott St

Starting with the dress. Of course you could hop on the bus to Carousel mall and buy the perfect dressy casual ensemble but not only are you risking dressing exactly like someone else, you’re also risking a huge bill. TryBoom Babies closer to campus and less expensive. A unique small supplied with prom, casual and formal dresses. With over 1000 choices of dresses and custom fitting, you’ll be the belle of the ball, or fraternity house.

The Cluttered Closet:  742 Beech Street

Of course, no outfit is complete without a few shinning accessories. And lucky for you just a hop, skip and jump away, basically across the street, from Boom Babies is The Cluttered Closet. A unique tiny shop chuck full of fun second hand accessories, clothes, hats and bags. From sparkly to punk from retro to classic you’ll find whatever you are looking for in this one of a kind closet shop.

Garbos Salon Tanning Ctr & Day: 732 S Crouse Ave

Granted this winter has been especially lacking in snow environment the sun has hidden away as usual. So, if you’re looking for a summer glow to match the new dress and accessories this close to campus tan shop is a must. There is a bronzing bed, a ten minute booth and a facial superbooth. You can pay for one session, multiple and even a yearly subscription. Not interested in a tan? Get some spa treatments, relax and then get your hair done. A one stop shop for all last minute steps.

Modern Pop Culture: 215 Walton Street

With the new semester comes a need for new clothes. With the new semester also comes the cost of books, notebooks and most importantly food. So, instead of spending big bucks at the big department stores try Modern Pop Culture an eccentric second hand vintage shop. Each item is in prime condition, unique and très à la mode.

The Sound Garden: 310 West Jefferson Street

Don’t get stuck spending the night listening to tunes from some random guy’s iPod repeating the same radio numbers. Before the party swing by The Sound Garden in Armory Square. This independent music store cells used CD’s, DVD’s, games and records. Grab some 70’s and 80’s classics and give the party a retro feel.  The Sound Garden is also a great place to sell your old music for some serious cash.

Recess Coffee Artisan Roasted:110 Harvard Place

After the party or formal you will need the early morning pick me up. Before reaching the dining hall coffee cup take the walk, or bus, to Recess Coffee, the perfect laid back hippie atmosphere. Drink a mugful of organic free trade coffee with a slice of cake or muffin. You will never believe that the delicious frosting and moist cupcakes are all vegan. But don’t just grab your coffee and go. Relax on the couch and play one of the board games, from classic Monopoly to a WTF version of Would you rather, it is the perfect morning pick me up.

Keep these places in mind as the semester goes on. And before going back to the same spot on Marshall Street or at Carousel mall have an adventure, follow this list or better off make your own!

I'm a senior broadcast journalism and French major at Syracuse University. I'm a social media and new technology fanatic. I'm a fan of current events, photography and documentaries about fish.
Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.