This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Yogathon: A perfect way to have a relaxing afternoon with beginner yoga classes, free goodie bags, and healthy snacks! Orange U Yoga is a first annual event that the Gamma Phi Beta sorority will host on February 27th.

The Yogathon will take place in Hall of Languages room 500, with classes starting at 11 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Classes will be taught by professional yoga teachers from the Syracuse area. Tickets will be available February 18th and 22nd in the Schine Student Center for $7 and at the door on the day of the event for $9. 

All proceeds will go to the Libby Ross Foundation, a nonprofit organization that supports women with breast cancer. It is based in New York and raises money and awareness for breast cancer research and early detection. It provides unique support for women through the healing power of yoga, according to the foundation’s website.

The group was started by Lori Ross, who lost her mother, Libby Ross to breast cancer. Since the organization’s founding, two unique programs were created in order to help raise money and awareness. Pink Ribbon Kits and The Pose for Pink Yoga program were placed into full swing in order to service this group’s needs.

This is the first time that LRF has teamed up with a college campus. Rachel Brenner, a sister in Gamma Phi Beta, felt very close to this organization and decided to plan a one of a kind event that would promote relaxation but also raise money for an important cause.

Brenner lost a close family friend and her own grandmother to breast cancer. She said she believes that this disease can affect all young women either directly or indirectly.

The Orange U Yogathon will benefit the Libby Ross Foundation itself. The company has been having financial difficulties so Brenner tried to come up with a fresh new event to host in order to get their name back into the scene.

Brenner said she believes that Syracuse University will serve as the pilot for what she hopes will become a national program across college campuses. It’s fun, healthy, relaxing and supports a good cause; what more could you ask for?

Ola friends! I'm Stephie. I now have 2 lovely kids. I make sure we have New Hampshire health plans for our protection. Health should be prioritized.
Elora likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain...but only warm rain, and especially rain that's packaged in summer thunderstorms! The sophomore magazine journalism and English major is an assistant feature copy editor for SU's independent student newspaper, the Daily Orange, and is a contributing writer for GALA Magazine. She is also a brother in the community service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. Elora has country music on her iTunes for every possible mood and she will never turn down a Dave Matthews Band concert, a trip to Panera Bread or a pickup soccer game. Although she's not sure exactly what she wants to do after graduation, she hopes to use writing to make a difference in someone's world.