Meet Superwoman AKA Jessica Cunnington ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Year: Junior

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Minor: Political Science

Hometown: Yorktown Heights, NY

She’s been referred to as “future President of the United States,” “superstar” and “superwoman.” Why? It certainly does seem like Jess can do anything. I, personally, would like to know when she sleeps. As Vice President of the Student Association, Host on Juice & Java, Host, Reporter and Pilot Producer for CitrusTV, member of Student Philanthropy Council and Co-Rush Chair for Kappa Kappa Gamma, she can’t possibly find time to catch more than a few Z’s. Furthermore, you can often find her trekking her reporting camera around campus in stylish brown heels. Now that’s a superwoman if I’ve ever seen one.

A look into the daily life of Jess Cunnington:

*Vice President of Student Association—A major project has been the Smoke Free Campus initiative. She is the student representative on the University’s committee for the topic. She represents the students daily, is in contact/in-the-know with Committee Chairs and attends events in the Syracuse community and on campus with President Neal Casey.

*Host on Juice and Java

*Host, Reporter and Pilot Producer for CitrusTV

*Member of Student Philanthropy Council

*Co-Rush Chair of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Beta Tau

Me: Which, of all your activities, do you find most rewarding? Why?

Jess: I find this incredibly hard to choose considering I do each of them for a specific reason. Through CitrusTV, I am able to work with incredibly dedicated, talented, students who will be right there with me in 10 and 20 years trying to get into the number one market, New York City. Whether hosting, reporting or currently trying to produce a new morning show, I am doing what I love to do all to improve my skills for the future. Kappa is also a huge reward because of the lifelong friends I have made and the commitment to a social and philanthropic “team” on campus. It is quite the community, and I have loved every aspect of being a part of Greek life! Student Association is where I also work with amazing kids who want to make a change and want to be leaders. Leadership qualities are needed in every environment and what better way to learn than from fellow students at the University we love! As you can tell, I am very indecisive and really can’t pick ONE that has given me the most rewards. My strategy behind getting involved with all of these things was to gain different rewards and experiences from college, and these groups and people I’ve met have done just that.

Favorite place on campus: Quad-no matter what the season; it always looks like it could be on a postcard. And Marshall Street!

Favorite place to study on campus: Library cubicles downstairs or Food.com at night!

Favorite thing about Cuse: This is an impossible question! (hence, my indecisiveness) I would say its ability to have such great reputations of the majority of its colleges, which brings exceptional students, which then creates the high energy, drive and inspiration.

Least favorite: Nothing

Dream job: NBC News correspondent or anchor for TODAY Show

Role Models:

*Dad for his patience and knowledge of people, good friend
*Phil Alcott for his way of words
*Morning Joe anchor
*Mika Brzezinski for her success of being a woman in the Television News business trying to be the best she can be in her career, as a mother and as a wife.

Elora likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain...but only warm rain, and especially rain that's packaged in summer thunderstorms! The sophomore magazine journalism and English major is an assistant feature copy editor for SU's independent student newspaper, the Daily Orange, and is a contributing writer for GALA Magazine. She is also a brother in the community service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. Elora has country music on her iTunes for every possible mood and she will never turn down a Dave Matthews Band concert, a trip to Panera Bread or a pickup soccer game. Although she's not sure exactly what she wants to do after graduation, she hopes to use writing to make a difference in someone's world.