Eliminating and Embracing the “Basic Girl” Stereotype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

There is no doubt about it. The “basic white girl” mentality has gotten out of hand. No longer are girls able to enjoy some of their favorite fall traditions due to the constant ridicule they receive for being “so typical”. Well I am here to tell you that this stereotype must come to an end. The shaming needs to stop.

Think about it this way: if something tastes really good or feels really cozy, we expect a lot of people to want to engage in that thing. So why are we shaming girls for drinking Pumpkin Spice Lattes and wearing Uggs? Is there something wrong with enjoying the festive taste of fall in a warm beverage? Or wanting to keep our toes toasty in the midst of a crisp autumn breeze? Even if “everyone is doing it” sounds like an easy cop-out for being unoriginal, it doesn’t have to be. Shouldn’t we consider the reasons why we all want those things in the first place? Let’s face it. When an item is popular, there is usually a pretty good reason for it.

Image from wikipedia.org

Being original and special isn’t about the clothes you wear or the things you drink. Being an individual is all about your personality and the way you interact with the world. Your decisions, how you conduct yourself, and the ways you give to those around you are what truly define you, not your taste in coffee.

It is important, however, to keep in mind that we shouldn’t let the materialism of this “basic girl” stereotype drive us into making biased decisions. While there is nothing wrong with splurging every so often on that Venti Salted Caramel Mocha or new Alex and Ani bracelet, we need to keep it in perspective.

Our possessions, while they should not define us, can often play tricks with our minds, making us feel as if they really do own us. If you feel like this is happening to you (and it does happen to all of us), don’t worry. Just take a step back and think about why you desire the things you desire. If your answer has anything to do with your appearance to the outside world, you may want to reconsider that purchase. In other words, if you’re just looking for a new Instagram post, then chances are your intentions are probably a bit dishonest. Just know that what you buy, choose to wear, and eat, are all decisions that shouldn’t define who YOU are. Your morals and character are enough to make you shine!

So embrace the aroma of cinnamon in your next latte, but just remember: don’t let that drink define what anyone else thinks of you, and most importantly, don’t let it define how you think of yourself.

Image from huffingtonpost.com

Cover image from huffingtonpost.com

Taylor Guttesman is a student at the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.