Choosing the Right Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

The semester is coming to an end, and with it, so is the pressure of choosing a roommate. Whether you think you already know who you are rooming with or have hundreds of friends wanting to live with you, here are a few things to consider:

1) Don’t live with your BFF.

Although being around your best friend 24/7 may seem like every girl’s dream, it can turn into your worst nightmare. The quote, “You never truly know someone until you live with them,” is totally true. Although your best friend may be an awesome person to be around when you meet for brunch at 10 am, she might not be so chipper when she has an 8 am every Friday.

2) Find someone with a similar sleep cycle.

I can not stress this enough! If your roommate has a super weird sleep schedule, no matter how quiet she is, she will wake you up. Don’t kid yourself into thinking that you’ll change and  wake up early every morning. Think twice before you choose an early riser for a roommate. Let’s be honest, if you’ve been waking up at noon for the past few years, the chances are that you and your bed are never separating.

3) Opposites attract.

Pick someone who likes things that are different from what you like. That doesn’t mean rooming with a complete stranger or someone who is your polar opposite, but pick a roommate who will be able to introduce you to topics or experiences you’ve never tried before.

4) Coexist with a similar style or complimenting style.

When it comes to room decor, this little tip will help you avoid major conflict. Your room decor might not seem like such a big deal right now, but when it’s time to buy some chic wall art, you’ll be glad you knew this. The big advantage of having similar style is that, not only will your room look amazing, but you will be able to borrow each other’s clothes!

5) Are you a clean freak or chaotic being?

If you don’t mind a little disorganization, be honest! After all, the last thing you want is someone telling you to clean up when you are running out the door. On the other hand, if you are Miss Everything-In-Its-Place, don’t room with that friend of yours whose idea of organization is a tidy pile of clothes on the floor!

6) Eating habits matter.

Yes, your mini-fridge is small. If you have the luxury to not live in a dorm, this won’t apply to you as much. However, if you are sharing your food storage you might as well fill it up with a lot of your favorite things! Are you a meat lover while your roommate is vegan? You’ll probably have to split the fridge in half, as opposed to being able to share all its contents and space.

7) Pick what works for you.

This is by far the most important tip! I’ve known all sorts of roommates, and the truth is that nothing is true for everyone. My roommate and I, for example, barely spent any time in our room or even with each other, but when we did, we got along extremely well and really enjoyed each other’s company. However, one of my good friends was practically besties with her roommate and they were inseparable! In my situation, I thought I had the perfect roommate, and so did my friend, so choose whatever works for YOU!

I'm Ana Lua. I'm currently a Marketing Management major at Whitman looking into transfering to Acting in VPA. I'm originally from Boston, but I've been moving around the world throughout my entire life to places like Brazil, China and Portugal. I love to travel and all things artsy and cute! I also like to write music and have a youtube beauty channel.