Campus Celeb: Grace Hildreth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

It’s the Age of Aquarius, and taking centerstage is our first Campus Celeb of the year: Grace Hildreth!

Major: French and PR

Year: Sophomore

What is your role as the director of “Hair,”presented by the What Theatre group?:

As director, it is my purpose to expose a critical social and political revolution of our time. The tribe in this musical pursued to change the world and expose the shock that New York experienced in 1969. Everything these people fought to change, we are still fighting to change today. The timing could not be more powerful.

How has “Hair” impacted your life in the past?:

I was fifteen the first time I saw the Broadway revival of Hair. My mom refused to accompany me because she thought it was “too racy,” so I went by myself anyway. I remember the night perfectly. I remember what I wore, what I smelled, but more importantly I remember feeling something unlike anything I had experienced before. That feeling was an overwhelming sense of love; the kind of love that washes over you and sweeps you away in a single moment. Then, as if it were written in the stars, my senior year of high school we put on Hair, and I basically exploded. The show has become such a significant part of my identity today because it taught me to surround myself with people who will love me unconditionally.

What Theatre accepts performers from any grade and major, excluding Musical Theatre majors. Why should people audition for “Hair”?:

For the people who have or haven’t done theatre in the past, I want you to know that this show gives you the opportunity to be a part of something that is greater than yourself. Hair is made up of a tribe, not a cast. The tribe is a single body, a unified voice, supporting one another and working together to make people listen to a story they need to tell. I encourage people to push themselves outside of their comfort zones and audition.

Could you give a brief summary of the show and what audience members can expect to see in December?:

Originally produced by Joseph Papp for the New York Shakespeare Festival with music by Galt MacDermot, Hair, The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical, tells the story of a group of politically active hippies who are members of the anti-Vietnam peace movement in the late 1960s. The tribe will work to expose the [awakening] that New York experienced in 1969 through controversial topics ranging from the Vietnam War, sexuality, the use of illegal drugs, and long, beautiful hair.

Audience members can expect to see beads, flowers, freedom, happiness, and an enormous amount of love.

Current mood: A little dancy.

Goals post ‘Cuse: Move to France, somehow grow out of my cat allergy, and learn how to pay my own taxes.

Favorite song: Elevate by St. Lucia. Do you know who St. Lucia is? No? Look them up!!!

Guilty pleasure: One Direction.

Hidden talent: I can do origami!

Something you’re probably too old to do but you do it anyways: I quote Spongebob Squarepants at least five times a day.

What soothes your soul? A good book, my roommate, and a tremendously hearty laugh you feel from the pit of your stomach when something is really, really funny.

Celebrity crush: Laura Prepon in any role.

If you could take a cross-country road trip with anyone, who would it be?

I’d drive to San Francisco with Robin Williams.  

Quotes to live by:

Recently, I was in NYC visiting friends and one night I was upset on the side of the street, sobbing to my friend. This old Italian man wearing a white fedora hat approached us on his white scooter and said:

“Hey! Don’t worry, I was there. I was 16, I was 17, and I was 19. And I have to tell you this. That tomorrow is a new day. You can do this. I believe in you!”

Then he gave me a soda from his scooter basket.

What are you most looking forward to this semester?

HAIR!!!! (and Halloween. I take Halloween very seriously.)

To you, dear reader, I hope you will consider auditioning for Hair! We would absolutely love to have you. The richness of the show comes from its history. So research, research, research. Auditions are September 24th & 25th in Crouse 403. Bring 16-32 bars of a song (sheet music would be appreciated), a 1-minute monologue, a copy of your class schedule, and of course your beautiful self. I’ll be seeing you.

Follow What Theatre on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO