Campus Celeb: Collin Jacobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Look for the man with the sweetest smile on the ice and off the stage! It’s Campus Celeb Collin Jacobs!

Major: Civil Engineering

Year: Senior

You are a Producer for First Year Players! What is FYP for those who haven’t heard?

First Year Players is a student-run musical theater organization that gives non-theater first year students the chance to perform in a spring musical. This year FYP is putting on Heathers as our spring production!

How did you get involved with FYP and how has being a part of this org changed your Syracuse experience?

I got involved my freshman year by attending the fall workshops and informational meetings. From there, you can get information on auditions, yay!! Auditions take place within the first week of the spring semester.

FYP has made my Syracuse experience into everything I could have ever wanted it to be. Coming to such a big school like Syracuse can be very scary, and the size makes it difficult to find your own niche on campus. It was especially challenging for me because not many people even talk about music or art in engineering, and I was that one theater kid who had enough technical knowledge to somehow end up in engineering. After joining FYP and meeting so many incredible people from so many different backgrounds, it made me feel like I was part of something much bigger than a show, and that still stands true for me. I’ve worked my way up from cast member to set builder to producer, and I still feel that feeling of togetherness and family that I felt when I first joined.

What are some of your favorite memories as a member of FYP, on and off stage?

My favorite FYP memory actually came before I was a part of the organization! I saw that FYP was hosting an acting workshop first semester and I thought to myself, “Ah, what the hey, why not? Let’s go see what it’s all about.” I went and played some improv acting games, similar to the ones on Whose Line Is It Anyway (if you haven’t heard of it, look it up on YouTube and prepare to laugh). At the very end of it, Greg Boilard came up to me and said “Dude, you are soooooo weird. I LOVE IT.” To this day, it is the best compliment I have ever received.

Auditions for first-year students do not take place until the spring semester. How can readers prepare for these auditions in the meantime?

First-years can begin by attending the fall workshops that will be held by the different creative teams. Two music workshops will be held on October 19th and November 16th in Shaffer 203. Two acting workshops will be held, one on October 13th in Bowne 111, the other on November 9th in HOL 500. Both acting and music workshops will start at 7pm. Two dance workshops will be held, one on October 22nd in HOL 500, the other on November 18th in Crouse-Hinds 017. Those will start at 6pm. In addition to those, general interest meetings will happen on October 27th and November 12th at 7pm in Bowne 111. Stage crew info meetings will be on October 15th and Novmber 2nd at 7pm in HOL 107.

In the meantime, anyone interested in auditioning for Heathers should prepare 32 bars of an audition song of their choice, as well as a 90-second monologue to show off your acting chops. Dance auditions will happen right after your singing and acting audition, so bring comfortable clothes to change into to your audition!

What are you most excited for this year as a FYProducer?

I’m excited for lots of things this year, but I’m most excited to see what the first-years are going to accomplish this year. I remember my cast experience of The Wedding Singer and I think of all the things that happened leading up to the show. There is going to be stress, tough songs and dances, long nights, and most of all, mistakes. It’s going to happen, it’s an unavoidable part of theatre. But right before your first show, when you think back to all that you’ve accomplished that year, you realize just what you’ve been through and done. Getting to see that from the producer’s point-of-view, I know that I am going to be so proud of everything that the new first-years accomplish. It’s like the feeling a parent gets whenever they see their children succeed, and I can’t wait to feel that.

Current mood: Jumpy

Goals Post ‘Cuse: Return home and transform my town into a 100% sustainable city. Or build my own 100% sustainable city. One of the two.

What else are you involved in on campus? I am also involved with the Syracuse University Roller Hockey team! Yay sports! Follow us on Twitter (@SURollerHockey) and like us on Facebook (Syracuse University Roller Hockey) for updates from the team throughout the season!

Favorite song: Oh no, I hate this question! There’s too many songs I like! I think I’d have to say Everything by Michael Bublé. I want to sing that to my future wife one day.

Guilty Pleasure: Dancing with the Stars. I absolutely love that show, and I want to learn how to dance like the pros.

Hidden Talent: I have a photographic memory.

Something you’re probably too old to do but you do it anyways: Watch cartoons in my pajamas on Saturday mornings. Nothing like that to keep your childhood alive!

What soothes your soul? Long runs with a friend. Exercise and a friendly conversation, what more can you ask for?

Celebrity Crush: Emma Watson. I would give up everything I own twice just to be with her.

If you could hike through Scotland with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?

Hmmm, that’s a tough one. I think I would love to go with either my big Tota (great-grandmother) or my Aunt Teres. They passed away when I was really young and I’d love to get the chance to have a long discussion with both of them.

What have your years at Syracuse taught you?

My years at Syracuse have taught me that college is about discovering who you really are. This is the point in your life where you need to find out what you’re good at, what you’re passionate about, and how you want to live your life. Don’t worry about grades and don’t worry about friends. If you truly love who you are and what you do, grades and friends will fall right into place.

Quote to Live By: “Sometimes the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.” –Anton Ego, Ratatouille

Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO