What’s On Ellie’s Phone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Phones are our way to stay more organized, keep connected with others, and help keep us informed about what is going on in the world at all times. For me, being connected to over 30 different apps (Facebook, Snapchat, CNN, and more) is overwhelming, so this past summer I cut down on some of the apps on my iPhone 5. There is no need to be connected to my phone 24/7. What I use most on my phone is the notepad, the calendar, email, camera and my music.

Note Pad: I love lists, simple as that. I make a list of everything I need to do that day in the order I need to do them, which helps with time management. I also use it for grocery lists, packing lists, and more.

Calendar: I use this to keep all my different events in order. Based on if the event is school related or work related, I use different emails to put them into my calendar. Doing this creates different colors for the events so I can tell which is which.

Music, Email and Camera: Whether it is walking to school or working out, music helps me get through the day. I also like having all my emails on my phone, whether it is professional email, junk email or school email. I like being contacted right away when emails are sent. I love taking pictures, and I also need my phone camera at all times in case I want to take a photo of something for my photography class and don’t have my professional camera.

Since I like to keep things simple, I have three boxes where I keep everything else. I labeled them Entertainment, Games, and Passport. I like having them all in alphabetical order because it helps me find them more easily. Everything else, I do not use too much but it is nice to have them on my phone.

Entertainment: In this box I have Facebook, Frametastic, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Snapchat, and Vine. I think most of these are self-explanatory. They are a fun way to stay connected with friends and express yourself.

Games: Candy Crush, Dumb Ways, Temple Run, Water? and Words Free are the games I used the most, so I deleted all the others I had. I like games that are puzzles and are challenging.

Passport: My bank’s online app, Embark BOS, Pandora, and TWC (The Weather Channel). These help me when I am traveling in Boston or across the country. Before I got my new iPhone, I had Viber for when I was studying abroad in Spain, and the next time I go abroad I will download it again. Until then, I most likely will not need it.

Safetrek is another app I have that I do not have in a box. This app helps you get home safely by holding your finger on the screen until you are home safe. When you are/feel safe, you put in code into your phone. If you don’t within 10 seconds, the app will notify the police and they will send a police car to where you were last located. This is also good to have if you are walking home alone from a bar.

I love how the new iPhone 5 has the lower pull up screen. This allows me put on the do not disturb button on, turn down the brightness, turn Bluetooth on and off, and turn my Wi-Fi or airplane mode on in a quick two touch motion. With the pull down screen from the top it allows me to quickly check the temperature in the morning before I get out of bed so I know how to dress for the day. If I want a more detailed description, I check TWC.

I hope you learned some time management tips and found some new apps to try out.

Ellie Hawkins is a graduate of Suffolk University. She received a BA with Magna Cum Laude honors in print journalism. Ellie is an alumni of Theta Phi Alpha-Gamma Lambda chapter. During her time at Suffolk she was involved with The Suffolk Journal and the Journey Program. Journey is a leadership program that focuses on four focal points: leadership training, involvement, career exploration and service. She volunteered at the Paulist Center Soup kitchen and is still doing so today. Ellie recently went to El Salvador, in January, to help with Habitat for Humanity through her schools Alternative Winter Break program. Ellie enjoys photography, skiing, golf, and watching movies in her free time. Ellie is fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the world: Boston. This city provides her with many opportunities from having a marketing internship at the Franklin Park Zoo to taking long walks on the Charles river and exploring the city. She also had the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid in the summer of 2013 at the other Suffolk University location. My dream job is to either travel while writing about the different experiences I have or have a job at Discovery Communications in the PR department.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.