TV Shows MTV Needs To Bring Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Take your mind into a time machine and travel back to the early /mid 2000s. You’re young, you just got home from school, and before you do any homework, you have to watch a little TV. What’re you watching? It most likely Nickelodeon or Disney Channel, but if you’re allowed to, today you’re watching MTV. The early 2000’s was MTV’s prime when it comes to TV shows. Recently they’ve started airing Total Request Live (TRL) again, and suddenly I’m back in my childhood. Here are a few other classics, I wish MTV would bring back.

• Parental Control (2006-2010)

Now this a dating show that needs to make a comeback. On this series, the parents of one teenager would each choose a date for their son or daughter because they did not like their child’s current boyfriend or girlfriend. After the dates, the son or daughter, would either choose to be with one of their new dates, or remain with their current significant other. My favorite part was always the significant other’s reactions when their BF or GF would pick a new date.

• My Super Sweet Sixteen (2005-2008)

While looking up the years this show ran, I discovered this show was revived in May 2017 and I can’t believe I did not know! On this series, rich kids who are spoiled rotten by their parents, plan the most elaborate sweet sixteen parties you could ever imagine. Not going to lie, as a kid I always wished I could attend one of these crazy bashes.

• Cribs (2000-Now)

I would be lying if I told you “Yo whaddup MTV, welcome to my crib!” isn’t what I said to my friends when I showed them my new dorm this year. On this series, famous actors, singers, and athletes would show off their extravagant homes. MTV did partner with Snapchat to keep Cribs alive, however it’d be so much cooler if they brought the original show back.

• Silent Library (2009-2011)

If you ask me, this show was not on the air long enough! On this series, a group of 6 friends would enter the silent library. Each player would draw a card, and whoever drew the skull card had to do a hilarious challenge. The goal is to keep quiet. The more the other players laugh, the less money the group wins. I’ll admit, I’d be terrible at this show.

• Pimp My Ride (2004-2007)

There was definitely a trend within early MTV programs of the early 2000’s, kids getting whatever they want from parties to cool houses, and on this series a pimped-out ride. Contestants on this show had the luxury of getting their crappy cars turned into their dream ride. I can only imagine what cars would have now, if this show made a comeback.

• Punk’d (2003-2012)

Who doesn’t love a good prank? On this series, every week a different celebrity fell victim to an orchestrated prank. The show has since been revived by BET in 2015, but truthfully no version compares to Ashton’s which ended in ‘07. Different celebrities began to host in the 2012 revival, but again, it wasn’t the same without Ashton. In all truthfulness, part of me wishes every time something bad happens to me, Ashton Kutcher would jump out and say, “you’ve been Punk’d!”

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.