Suffolk Safety: Ways to Stay Safe on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With all the recent news headlines like the terrifying clowns and late night crime, students at Suffolk should understand the many ways of keeping themselves safe this school year.

1.      NEVER go anywhere alone at night. Contrary to popular belief, you are not invincible, and going somewhere alone after dark automatically makes you a target for any criminal. To ensure your safety, make sure you try and go out in groups of 2 or 3 after dark. If for some reason you find yourself alone though, try and call someone to talk to you on your way to wherever you are going.

2.      Use the SUPD resource!!! The SUPD cops work for you, that’s why they are there! Never be afraid to call for an escort back to your dorm if you are hanging out with friends, or working in the library late at night.

3.      Never go anywhere without your phone charged or a rechargeable battery. Yes, it’s common sense, but you would be surprised to know how many kid’s phones die by the end of the night when they really need them.

4.      Lock doors. For students who live off campus, your doors probably don’t lock automatically after you’ve walked in or out, so be mindful to do so at night or when you leave your apartment.

5.      Never keep valuables in easily attainable places. This goes for being inside and outside. When home, before you leave, make sure all of your valuables are put away safely and you lock our doors. Anything can happen. As for being outside, never openly carry your money or valuables with you, it makes you an easy target for muggers.

Not everyone is a target or will experience a crime on campus, but it can happen to anyone. These guidelines don’t just apply to Suffolk or the city of Boston either, they apply anywhere you go. The city of Boston is a fun place to be, but the more aware of your surroundings and the resources you have available to you, the more fun you will have.