Reputation Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The three year long wait is finally over Swifties! On Friday November 10th, 2017, Taylor Swift dropped Reputation, her most talked about album yet. The controversy began in late August when Taylor dropped her first single off the album, “Look What You Made Me Do”, a song proclaiming the old Taylor was dead. More talk spewed when the music video premiered at the VMA’s, which included Taylor’s old selves fighting with one another.

Many were not a fan of Taylor’s new sound and were skeptical of her new era, but I had a gut feeling this controversial tune was dropped first to get all the attention back on her since it had been so long since she released music. Before releasing the album, Taylor dropped three more singles from Reputation, each with a different sound, and I had feeling this was about to be one of her best albums yet. So all in all, don’t let LWYMMD turn you off from Reputation. This album is a true work of art and I’m so excited for this new Swift Era. Read more below for my full review on Reputation!

…Ready For It?

This song was the second single released from Reputation and I feel like it’s Taylor’s warning to us to get ready for a brand new Taylor. I’m definitely ready for it, are you?

End Game (feat. Ed Sheeran & Future)

In the next song, Tay wants to stop all the silly games and wholeheartedly be with someone. It is no secret that a Taylor and Ed duo is always fantastic, but throw in Future and what do you get? Absolute fire!

I Did Something Bad

This song is not only my favorite song on the album, but one of my favorite songs Taylor’s ever made. The beat is so insanely good. She’s done something bad and it feels so good… So what exactly did she do? You’ll have to listen closely.

Don’t Blame Me

Along with I Did Something Bad, this song is one my favorites on the album, with it’s brilliant lyrics and beat. You can feel the passion radiating as Taylor wishes we wouldn’t blame her for her past mistakes, after all, love made her crazy.

Delicate

This song has such a cool vibe to it, one that’s different for Taylor, and I am so obsessed with it. In this slow yet upbeat concoction, Taylor states her reputation has “never been worse” and knows to treat all future relationships with delicacy.

Look What You Made Me Do

As I mentioned above, I think this song was made and released first to be extremely attention grabbing. With all the drama she’s been in the last few years, Taylor wants us all to look at what we made her do… she killed off the old Taylor and completely reinvented herself.

So It Goes…

This one is my least favorite song on the album. I always find myself skipping it and there’s no build up in it. Even if it’s meant to be more of ballad, it lacks the usual passion Taylor ballads encompass.

Gorgeous

This was the third single dropped from Reputation. You know the feeling when someone is just so gorgeous it actually hurts? Taylor perfectly describes that feeling in this song and I am living for it.

Getaway Car

I am so happy Taylor put this song on the album! I know she says the old Taylor is dead, but this song gives me such Taylor circa Speak Now vibes with a new Taylor twist and it’s simply incredible.

King of My Heart

This song like the previous also gives me prior album vibes; this one sounds like it belongs on 1989. However, 1989 is my favorite T-Swift album, so I’m sure you can guess what I’m about to say next. If it was “I love this song” you guessed correct.

Dancing With Our Hands Tied

Like So It Goes… this song is not one of my favorites on the album and I usually find myself skipping it. It has a little more excitement than So It Goes.. but compared to the other songs on Reputation, it lacks a little.

Dress

It’s not often we get to see the sexy side of T-Swift, but she did an amazing job embodying that side of herself with this song. She sings about buying a dress just so her man can take it off. Easily the most risque song she’s ever released.

This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things

This one is also one of my top favorites from this album. Taylor sings about breaking off a friendship with someone shady and I desperately want to know who. Karlie Kloss perhaps? Whoever it is, forgiveness is out of the question and Taylor cackles about it in the song.. Literally. This cackle is iconic.

Call It What You Want

This song was the fourth and final single released before the album finally dropped. It is my least favorite out of all the singles dropped, but out of all the more relaxed songs on the album, it is one of my favorites.

New Year’s Day

For those of you needing a slow, soft T-Swift song in this ever growing pop vibe Taylor has going, it’s made its way to the end of the album! This song is so beautifully written and sung, one of my absolute favorite love songs she’s ever done. I really hope she brings out the piano when she plays this live.

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.