Miss Temple Street: Week 1 Answers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Thank you all for your questions! Here are my answers for this week. I have combined some common dilemmas because they were very similar. Stay fabulous and don’t forget to ask more questions in upcoming weeks! Ask me more questions here.

Xo,

Miss Temple Street

Question: I want to make new friends but I feel like it’s impossible at Suffolk, how can I make new friends here? What’s the best way to make friends at school? Ones that will actually hangout outside of classes? I’m a freshman commuter and I feel like it’s hard to have a social life here and I only live 20 minutes from campus. I’ve been considering transferring but I feel like Suffolk has a lot to offer and transferring for that reason would be stupid.

MTS: This is a question that a lot of people want to know the answer to here at Suffolk. Because we are in the middle of the city and don’t have an actual campus, making friends at school can be really difficult and I totally get it. The beginning of my freshman year, the only close friends I had were the few I met at orientation (keep in touch with them). But I knew that I wanted to expand my group of friends so I decided to join some organizations on campus and BAM! I know you hear it over and over again, at orientation, from your RA and maybe even from your professors but the best way to make friends here at Suffolk is to get involved. After getting involved on campus with different groups, I made so many amazing friends and I know it will be the same case for you. Joining new clubs and meeting new people can be scary but you have to take that leap. If you get involved with just one club on campus, I promise it will change your life here at Suffolk!

Question: Trying to balance classes, work, being involved on campus, exercising, and having a social life has been super challenging for me this semester. I always take on too much and overbook myself and end up so stressed but I love all that I do and being busy. Any tips on how to manage it all and relieve some stress?

MTS: Although most people like our parents believe that college kids live a life of luxury and that we go to a few classes a day, spend the rest of our day napping, and on the weekends we just go out with our friends, that isn’t the case for all of us. Some college kids may be like this and I wish that were my life sometimes but for most of us, that just isn’t true. Balancing everything can get really tough but the main thing you have to keep in mind is yourself. Sometimes we have to take a minute and give ourselves time to breath. Although it sucks not going out on a Friday night with your friends, it may be better to cuddle up in your bed and catch up on some Netflix. Maybe instead of doing that project for your club, you can pair up with someone else and split up the work. Many of us don’t realize that we don’t need to jump onto everything that comes our way. It’s ok to pass up on hanging with your friends or maybe taking a few days off of work every now and then to get things done. Just remember to set aside some time for yourself and not to stress the little things.

Question: How does one recover from a really bad break up? It’s been about 3 months since and I’m still not over it. What should I do?

MTS: Breakups can be very difficult and getting over someone takes some time. I was in a long-term relationship coming into college and dealing with that break up was hard, so I completely understand where you are coming from. Luckily, we are in an amazing city where there is plenty to get our mind off of our loser exes. Whether it’s joining new clubs on campus, going out for some girl time or just adventuring around the city, there is so much to do to distract us. Breakups just take time to heal and you will meet new people and have so many great experiences that you wont even have time to think about it. Surround yourself with people that make you laugh and will be there to pick you up. Life will go on and new memories will replace the old ones. Just keep your head up!

Question: So I’ve been seeing this guy all semester and I really want him to “wife me up.” The only problem is he is convinced he “doesn’t want a girlfriend freshman year.” I don’t want to be hooking up with someone that wants other girls but I also really like him and know he hasn’t hooked up with anyone else… what should I do?

MTS: This is a problem a lot of people face coming into college. Whether it’s deciding to stay in a high school relationship or getting into one right when you get to college, it’s a hard decision. In your situation I would say to just go with the flow. It may not be what you want to hear but it’s true. You can’t force someone into a relationship and doing so will only ruin what you have now. Freshman year is a great time to keep your options open and get to know new people. You may think that you want a relationship now but that could change with time. Just try to keep things honest and open. Don’t focus on the title, just focus on doing the things that make you happy. Everything will fall into place when it’s suppose to. 

Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell