How to Get the NY Fashion Week Trends into Your Own Closet (On a Budget!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

If you’re at all interested in fashion and following the latest trends, New York fashion week took your breath away. Personally, I was giddy, as I eagerly sat by the computer scrolling through pictures and watching live feeds of the shows from my dorm. Although each designer brings his or her own interpretation of fashion and style to their respective collections, there were definitely similar trends in all their work.

While I would love to be able to sport the stunning confectionary-colored gowns at Elie Saab, but like most, lack the financial means and social schedule to get away with it. Here’s how to look to the runway for inspiration to stay stylish, but also appropriate and mindful of your own wardrobe. 

Floral

Shocking, right? Florals for Spring/Summer? Floral prints will be forever stylish in the warmer months, but each year offers a new take on the classic print. This year, flowers are printed on fabric in a way that make them look like they were hand painted. The increasing attention to detail with the floral print makes every piece look like a work of art, not to mention incredibly expensive. Rodarte, Peter Som, and Prabal Gurung’s models donned stunning creations that went far beyond a classic floral print with vivid colors and exaggerated shapes.

To get the high-end looks, look for pieces made with silky materials. Florals look beautiful on fabrics that move with you while you walk. Also, stay clear of prints that are too obvious; you want people to know that you’re wearing a floral print, but the modern version is more abstract. 

Peter Som, Rodarte, and Prabal Gurung

TRY: Urban Renewal
High Neck Mod Dress
$59.00 @ Urban Outfitters
or
urbanoutfitters.com

African Safari

Last year, many designers put out pieces that had an African feel to them with natural colors and prints. This year, the new look is safari. Natural colors mixed with bright reds and blues covered structured dresses, skirts, and jackets, making the most fashionable safari guide outfit I’ve ever seen. The difference between this year’s safari trend and the last is the incorporation of geometric shapes and vivid colors. Last year we saw more solids and neutral colors.

To master this trend, look for prints that are inspired by traditional Africa patterns, but are modern and have a definite structure to them. Intricate patterns make more sense on well-tailored clothes than flowing, airy pieces, where they can look busy and confusing.

J. Mendel, L.A.M.B., and Donna Karan

TRY:
Abstract Zig Zag
Halter Dress
$22.80 @ Forever 21
or
Forever 21.com

Flapper

My personal favorite trend for this spring is something that is fresh and new, compared to the other two trends that we have seen done repeatedly by designers over the years. The 20’s are making a huge comeback that we can see in the fringed flapper dresses that models strutted down the runway in. These pieces have the traditional lapels that move gorgeously as you walk in a modest hemline, but they’re done in dreamy pastels that make this trend completely new. Ralph Lauren, Oscar de la Renta, and Marchesa are just a few big names that make spectacular dresses in fabrics and colors from a dream.

To look as beautiful as Daisy Buchanan without the heavy velvets and deep colors, find flapper-inspired pieces in modern pastels. If your afraid to go full-on flapper, find a dress or skirt that has a fringed hemline. The beauty of this trend making a comeback, is the simplicity of it; the clothing should do the talking. Keep hair, makeup, and accessories as simple and modern as possible to avoid look costume-y, but feel free to give in to your urge to shimmy.

Marchesa, Oscar de la Renta, and Ralph Lauren

TRY: The Tassel at Hand Dress
$87.00 @ Modcloth
or
modcloth.com

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.