Entertainment Blog: Sherlock Season 3 Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

WARNING: SPOILERS!!

I know this is really late to be writing this review, but I needed some time to marinate with the episodes. This season was not my favorite (I preferred season 1, personally), but that’s not to say that it wasn’t phenomenal as far as TV shows are concerned. This season went more into Sherlock’s mind than it did into the crimes he was solving. This makes me think that Sherlock’s brain is like the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension in Space) from Doctor Who: smaller on the outside, bigger on the inside. It was really exciting to see the writers delve into Sherlock’s brain, and see what he thought about as he was solving the crime. Let’s break down the episodes.

Episode 1, The Empty Hearse: Sherlock isn’t dead, and there are lots of theories surrounding his death. What I love about this episode is that the writers had tweets covering the screen saying “#SherlockLives.” It was so cool. John Watson, however, is really upset that Sherlock didn’t tell him that he was still alive. Sherlock is back on assignment to stop a terrorist attack in London. Mycroft (Sherlock’s brother) told Sherlock that John had moved on with his life. So in this episode, we see Sherlock and John bonding and trying to restore their old relationship. In the end, they rekindle their wonderful friendship.

Episode 2, Sign of Three: In this episode, we see that Sherlock is faced with writing a best man speech for John and Mary’s wedding (Mary is played by Martin Freeman’s real life wife). This episode really teaches us that anyone can have a best friend, and I really love that message. I think this episode is in my top 3 favorites. Sherlock was very surprised when John asked him to be the best man at the wedding, because he felt that he could never be anyone’s best friend. However, the wedding does not go off without a hitch. There is a murder, and Sherlock must solve it. Yet again, we delve into Sherlock’s mind as he is solving the case of the murder which is so entertaining to watch.

Episode 3, His Last Vow: This episode reveals a new criminal mastermind: Charles Magnusson. On the outside, he is a business owner, but in reality, he also owns the most powerful people in the western world. Sherlock and John must face off with this new criminal, surprisingly along with Mary Watson, and Sherlock’s fake girlfriend. In the very end of this episode, we see signs go up all over London’s screen billboards with Moriarty’s face and the words: “Did you miss me?”

All in all, as all Sherlock seasons are, this season was excellent. The writers do an amazing job. We hear that the next season is projected to air this Christmas, but there are also rumors that it will be another two years before the next season, just like the gap between seasons two and three. Dear Writers, please don’t do that..

Hi! I'm Ellie Shackleton, an international relations major at Suffolk University! I've always enjoyed creative writing, and I really like blogging. Enjoy!
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.