Campus Celebrity: Sushil Bhatia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

“Some people say I’m crazy but you have to be crazy to invent things.” –Sushil Bhatia

Dr. Sushil Bhatia is more than just a professor at Suffolk University. He has made a career out of his favorite hobby, innovating. From the glue stick to the labels on your boyfriends Old Spice, Dr. Bhatia has developed a remarkable 300-400 products! About forty of those products are in the market today! Bhatia is also an author, a laugh expert, and the CEO of JMD Manufacturing. He has won many prestigious awards, has appeared on CNN, NBC, and ABC; and has been featured in important newspapers such as the Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, Boston Journal and many more.

Dr. Bhatia was born and raised in India. He moved to Belgium to get his PhD at University de Liege. After graduating and becoming a Doctor of Science in Chemistry, he then moved to the United States in 1985 where he received his MBA from Suffolk University!

Dr. Sushil Bhatia has made a huge impact on Suffolk University, throughout the years. In 2005 Sushil became an executive in residence and professor here at Suffolk University. He teaches a variety of courses, some of which he created himself! Some of these courses include Innovation, New Product Development and Strategy, Marketing and Art of Laughter. Keep these classes in mind while making your schedule for spring semester; I’ve heard nothing but fantastic reviews from his students. In the beginning of Professor Bhatia’s classes everyone has to laugh, meditate and do breathing exercises. One of his students, Freshman Katya taught me a few of the laughs they begin class with, including the Halloween laugh” (“Mwahahaha”), the Christmas laugh”, (“Ho Ho Ho”) and the cat laughter (Meoow ha..ha..ha..)!

One of Professor Bhatia’s biggest impacts to Suffolk University was starting a new product innovation competition in 2006. Around 300 Students participate in this competition with the chance of winning up to $60,000 in cash awards. If this sounds like something you’d be interested in visit Suffolk.edu/newproduct for more information!

“One way to have a clear mind is through proper breathing, laughter and meditation and adopting a THINK NEUTRAL approach!” Dr. Bhatia explains. Sushil Bhatia founded the Laughing Club of America. He has written several short books on the subject of laughter, including “Just Say Yes to Laughing Your Way to Fitness With Yoga and Meditation (and That’s No Joke)!” He also has a book that the insomniac in me is dying to read titled “How to Fall Asleep in Less Than 30 Seconds.” “

Dr. Bhatia says, “You cannot go through a day without using or seeing at least one product that I have had a part in innovating.” Some examples of products Sushil Bhatia has developed and patented include…

-The ink used to print the expiration dates on products such as milk cartons
-The Decopier, which basically does the opposite of a copy machine by taking the ink off of a sheet of paper
-The glue on the back of nametags
-The labels on plastic containers such as Old Spice bottles
-Electro-sensitive paper
-The Glue stick

Coming up with hundreds of innovations is certainly done through years of hard work. To take a break from all of this work, he makes time to meditate at least 20 minutes a day. He enjoys drawing cartoons when he gets a chance as well. When asked if he had any other hobbies, he said his motto is, “Do things, new things all the time.”

Throughout the entire interview I had with Dr. Bhatia I couldn’t help but ask myself, “Where does this man get all his inspiration from? His answer to this question was, “I’m just trying to impress my wife.”

Nicole Rosa Major: Advertising Academic Year: 2015 Bio: I was born and raised in Wallingford, CT. Softball is basically my life. I've been playing for 14 years and I'm a shortstop and catcher on the Suffolk team. I'm the manager of the Rent the Runway Campus Rep team at Suffolk. I love love love photography, fashion, decorating, rap music, and sports!