5 Tips to Nail Your Audition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The start of first semester marks the start of something else – audition season!  Whether you’re into acting, singing, or dancing here are some tips to NAIL your audition!

1. Do Your Research

It would be beneficial for you to do some research on the organization that you are auditioning for before auditions. What exactly do they do? Can you picture yourself participating? Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages, YouTube channels, and links on your university website are all great resources for finding this information! 

2. Be Prepared

Find out what is expected of you at auditions and try your best to prepare for it. Proper dress attire, snacks, and water are a must. If you’re a dancer make sure you have been stretching. If you’re a singer, always have a backup song. While you can’t be prepared for everything that will be thrown your way, you can always try!

3. Don’t Stress (….too much)

It’s normal to have butterflies in your stomach, but don’t let your nerves consume you. Keep this in mind: everyone judging you was once in your shoes. Don’t be intimidated – we all start somewhere! If you make a mistake, keep going. Chances are, the judges are thinking back to how nervous they were at their first auditions too.

4. Smile!

Nothing is worse than watching someone who looks like they do not want to be there. Crack a smile! Judges will be looking at what you can add to their group personality-wise just as much as talent-wise. Show them what positive qualities you can contribute to their group!

5. Take It All In

Auditions are a great way to expand your knowledge. Take in everything that you learn at auditions and use it to your advantage. And if you don’t make the cut this time, don’t let it get you down. Just think of how much more you know for next time! GOOD LUCK!!!!