10 Activities That Are Okay to do Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

It is always an adventure when you go out with your friends. Whether it is going to the club, getting frozen yogurt, or just lying around your apartment gossiping and watching TV, it is always a blast. But, what happens when they can’t go out, don’t want to go see the same movie as you, or worst of all, if they ditch you at the last second? Do you just not go? The answer to that is NO! You should not be afraid to do something alone. You will always be your own best friend, because no one knows what you enjoy better than yourself.  Here are some activities you can do when your friends are unavailable and why you should do them ALONE!

1. Going to the movies: It is hard enough to get all your friends to see a movie, let alone at the same time. This is the perfect opportunity for you to see that movie you’ve been dying to see, and not have someone stealing all the red Starbursts from you the whole time. The best time to see a movie by yourself is on a weekday. It is even cheaper if you are able to see it in the early morning/afternoon. Plus, during a movie you don’t even talk so you’re really not missing anything.

2. Traveling: Some of the best times you can have traveling are when you’re traveling with only yourself. It is hard to have a friend come with you because they might not have the time, money or motivation to go to X location. If you go with your family, it is hard to have time management skills because people get distracted and want to see other things that may not interest you. This can cause you to miss out on opportunities to see what you actually want to see. Whether it is a town you have never been to or a whole new country, you will love seeing new sights and meeting new people along the way.

3. Going out to lunch/dinner: Going out to a meal with friends is always a great time, but sometimes it is fun to treat yourself, especially if you want to go to a nice place that not all your friends can afford. Even if you are just grabbing a quick lunch at Joe’s or Cafeteria on Newbury Street, don’t be afraid to eat alone. Enjoy the food, maybe read a book you haven’t had the time to catch up on, or even figure out your schedule for tomorrow. Enjoy the atmosphere, a glass of wine, and over the top salad. Plus, no one will judge what you get.

4. Going for outside or to the beach: Whether you are just going to tan on the beach or simply want to get out because it is a beautiful day, go for it! At times it is nice to just relax and think and not feel forced to listen to someone or make conversation. 

5. Sitting in a coffee shop: Sometimes you can finish a book or get a whole load of work done when you are alone in a coffee shop. There is just a certain focus that comes with being in a coffee shop. You can get a latte or cappuccino for “here,” and enjoy a delicate pastry, while you dedicate yourself to your flashcards, or get lost in a different world/era of a novel.

6. Museums: Once you go alone you will never want to go back with a group again. Going to a museum gives you the reins to decide how long you want to stare at a canvas dripping with red paint or if you want to skip the Ming Dynasty. You will learn things you never knew about before, because you have the time to read the captions on the signs without hearing your friends nag. Plus it gives you the opportunity to get all dressed up in a cute outfit and take yourself out for the day.

7. Exercise class/exercising: It is awesome to have a buddy who will push you to go faster or one more mile on the elliptical, but who are you kidding, your best friends will not have the same time available everyday to work out with you. One thing that can be amazing while working out alone is getting in the zone and then coming back to reality to realize that you ran five miles, because your friend wasn’t there to distract you. Exercise classes are the same. Your best friend might not be into yoga like you are; she might be more of a kick-boxing girl. Either way there is no need to go with someone you know. Get to know some new people from your class, and expand your friend circle.

8. Getting a manicure/pedicure: Yes, it is fun to gossip with a girlfriend when your toes are getting all polished. But honestly, most of the time you just want to close your eyes, and let the massage chair take you to a place where you are being pampered on a tropical beach.

9. Volunteering: It can be scary to go alone at first, but you will soon shake this feeling. You will be surrounded by others who are just as excited to be there and help out. Plus it is a quick pick me up to make you feel better about yourself for giving back.

10. Shopping: Sometimes it is just faster and easier to do alone. You don’t have to feel bad if you want to splurge and get something big while your friend is standing right there. You can go to the stores you want, and spend as much time trying stuff on as you’d like. Plus you don’t feel like you have to compare yourself to someone. It is meditation for a girl to stroll through H & M or Nordstrom’s on her own.

If you do any of these activities alone, don’t worry about what people think. If they say something or look at you weirdly it most likely means they wish they were as secure as you. They wish that they felt that comfortable with themselves to do some of these activities. Always love yourself and be confident!

Ellie Hawkins is a graduate of Suffolk University. She received a BA with Magna Cum Laude honors in print journalism. Ellie is an alumni of Theta Phi Alpha-Gamma Lambda chapter. During her time at Suffolk she was involved with The Suffolk Journal and the Journey Program. Journey is a leadership program that focuses on four focal points: leadership training, involvement, career exploration and service. She volunteered at the Paulist Center Soup kitchen and is still doing so today. Ellie recently went to El Salvador, in January, to help with Habitat for Humanity through her schools Alternative Winter Break program. Ellie enjoys photography, skiing, golf, and watching movies in her free time. Ellie is fortunate enough to live in one of the best cities in the world: Boston. This city provides her with many opportunities from having a marketing internship at the Franklin Park Zoo to taking long walks on the Charles river and exploring the city. She also had the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid in the summer of 2013 at the other Suffolk University location. My dream job is to either travel while writing about the different experiences I have or have a job at Discovery Communications in the PR department.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.