The 7 Stages of Realizing There’s Only One Month Until Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

So, it’s November already (even though the snow outside has got us feeling like December).  In less than a month, classes will be out of session and finals will be on their way.  But, how did this happen, collegiettes? 

Sometimes, life moves so fast that we can’t reconcile how fast it really is.  It happens to the best of us.  Here are the seven stages every STU collegiette goes through at the beginning of November.

Stage #1: Disbelief

What?  What do you mean we only have one month left?”

Stage #2: Denial

“Nuh-uh.  There’s no way.  Like, it was just September!”

Stage #3: Realization

“Oh my God, no!  I’ve been slacking on one/two/all of my classes, and now it’s almost finals?  I’m going to fail everything!”

Stage #4: Resignation

“You know what, that’s totally fine.  I don’t care if I pass.  I kind of wanted to spend an extra year at university anyway.  Who needs the real world?”

Stage #5: Determination

“I can turn this around.  As long as I work hard and stop going to Buckets every Friday.  Okay, maybe I’ll go to Buckets this Friday.  But that’s it.”

Stage #6: Acceptance (kind of)

“Alright, I think this is fine.  Um, I mean, at least there’s only one month until Christmas, right?”

Stage #7: Surrender

“Four weeks to get ‘er done.  Let’s just get this over with.”

Zoolander © Paramount Pictures

Gossip Girl © Fake Empire/The CW

That’s So Raven, Ugly Betty © Disney/ABC Television

Glee, Bob’s Burgers © 20th Century Fox Television

Enchanted © Walt Disney Pictures

Emma Chapple is a journalism major at St. Thomas University. She is the founding Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus STU.  In addition to HC, Emma also runs her own blog within the Her Campus Blogger Network, and contributes to several online publications.If you want to work with Emma, you can contact her at emmachapple57@gmail.com.