Things TO wear and things NOT TO wear on a first date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

A first date….

The dream – A perfect evening where you will get wined, dined, treated like a princess in the hope of finding Prince Charming…

The reality – Oh the reality is so very different….getting too drunk, having to split the bill and leaving with a sicky feeling in your stomach questioning why you ever thought this would be a good idea….

So after already having the stress of thinking of where to meet/ when to meet/ what to do and what to actually talk about the most important thing hasn’t even been considered! WHAT TO WEAR!

What to wear on a first date is crucial! Whilst some boys may claim that “oh you could wear a bin bag and you would still look amazing”…sorry but whoever says that deserves a punch in the face…boys do actually take notice to what girls wear, and whilst it could be subconscious they are still judging, so this outfit has to be on point girls! So we at HerCampus Strath have brought you some tips about what to wear on a first date and more importantly what not to wear! 

WHAT NOT TO WEAR

1.BOOBY TOPS

This time the phrase “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” should be ignored, erased from memory and it should never be followed! Even if your boobs are perky, big and normally get you loads of guys for a first date getting them out really is not ideal! Why? Well if you have your boobs out the boy is really going to be thinking you’re after one thing…and we really don’t want to be giving off that impression do we? So tip number 1….hide your best assets for a later date.

2. A FANCY OUTFIT

Can you picture the scene, buying a new dress…£60 down the drain on an amazing dress that you’re sure is going to impress your date, it’s fancy, it’s sophisticated, and he will know straight away that you are one classy girl….no no no, its not all good trust me! If you turn up in an amazing dress and he ends up taking you to….McDonalds, KFC, Burger King….(I really hope he doesn’t, because then he definitely doesn’t deserve to be dating you) Feeling overdressed is one of the worst feelings ever, s for a first date avoid it at all costs! If he’s wearing a snapback and your dressed like you should be wearing a crown it puts an instant awkwardness on the date, so yeah even though you deserve to be treated like a princess, don’t dress like one! 

3.LOADS OF MAKEUP

Being amazing at makeup is something to be envious of  trust me, I can barely even put on eyeliner, but don’t feel the need to put on every bit of makeup you have for a date! Boys have admitted that they prefer to see girls looking more natural that caked in loads of makeup, and if you put loads on the first date, if there is a second, a third, a fourth or a fifth date you will need to keep it up! Did someone say effort? So keep it natural and you will be sure to impress!

WHAT TO WEAR

1.KEEP CASUAL

For a first date casual is best, wear your favorite, comfiest pair of jeans, and if you aren’t too dressed up you will ooze confidence! If he sees how confident you are, you will impress him. Don’t feel the need to spend extravagant amounts of money on a new outfit, just keep it simple! If you wanna wear army pants and flipflops just DO IT!

2. COMFY SHOES

I think this is one of the most important ones! Make sure your shoes are nice, but most importantly make sure they are comfy! Break your shoes in prior to the date because you don’t want to be complaining about sore feet the whole day, you want to be up for doing anything, so if your date wants to go climbing up a hill on the first date (don’t laugh it has actually happened to me) you are prepared, and you will be able to make it up the hill first. We don’t want our date to be carrying us home like that episode of friends…