City Series: Montreal, Canada (Part 1)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Montreal is one of the most underrated cities in the world with amazing food, historic buildings, world class shopping and a beautiful French-Canadian heritage. Here are my top tips and recommendations for anyone planning a long haul city break over the other side of the Atlantic.

Firstly, Montreal is one of my favourite cities in the world. I may be bias saying that as I lived there for 4 months, nonetheless it has so much to offer to its visitors. The city has a very modern, contemporary vibe combined with a European twist in the form of the beautifully architected buildings and French street names. It is a city of two halves: firstly, there is the Old Port. This is the more traditional area of the city, where the Notre-Dame Basilica is located. This is an ancient church, and interestingly enough is where Celine Dion got married, and is a lovely place for everyone to visit, whether you have religious beliefs or not, as the artwork of the stained-glass windows inside is truly breath-taking. 

Additionally, in the Old Port area, there is the pier, where the gorgeous Clock Tower Beach is located which is a popular spot in the summer. This is a lovely area for an evening stroll and is a quiet contrast to the bustling streets of downtown Montreal. 

With regard to shopping, St Catherine is the place to be. This street runs along the centre of downtown Montreal and is the main street where major retailers and shopping malls are located. It is also home to the largest Victoria’s Secret shop in Canada! 

Furthermore, onto the important topic of food. Poutine is Canada’s most iconic dish and comprises of chips, cheese curds and gravy. Admittedly, this does not sound like the most appetising meal, but trust me it sure is tasty! A restaurant titled La Banquisse, located in Le Plateau area of the city, is rated the number one in Canada and specialises in poutine. It is open 24 hours a day, so it is always a great idea to visit after a night of clubbing or is the perfect hangover fix the following day! Toppings include endless include meats, vegetables, soured cream, guacamole and hotdogs to name a few! It is definitely a yummy cheat meal, and will compare to nothing you have ever eaten before.

And finally, for those of you that have a sweet tooth, I recommend C’Chocolat, located just off St Catherine. This place does the best desserts ever- fact! Waffles, crepes, chocolate pizza/pasta, ice cream, fondue, milkshakes, hot chocolates and even chocolate flavoured cocktails. This restaurant really has it all and is pure chocolate heaven!

So this wraps up my first instalment of my Montreal Travel Guide. Other sites to uncover are Mont Royal, the Olympic Tower, Jean-Drapeau Island and the Botanical Gardens, all of which will be featured in part 2 of this travel guide. 

Make sure to follow @HerCampusStrath on Twitter and Instagram and Like our Facebook page!

Hi, my name is Caitlin and I am a third year BA (Hons) International Business student currently majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship. I am a lover of all things beauty and makeup related and in my spare time I love to read fashion and beauty blogs to keep up with the latest trends. I am also a keen traveller, having spent 4 months studying in Montreal, Canada last year which was the best experience of my life to date!