Stonehill Goes Greek!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Ever wonder what Stonehill College would be like if it went Greek? What gods and goddess would be in charge of various buildings on campus? Check it out, but be careful because you don’t want to anger the gods and goddesses!

Donahue: Zeus
Zeus is given the area of Donahue because he is the highest god, a.k.a. he’s the king, the boss, the god with most swag, etc. He resides at the hill that watches over all of Stonehill and takes his wrath out on all students that disobey.

Boland and McPhaidin Library: Athena
Athena is given the area of both Boland and McPhaidin because she is full of wisdom (nerd alert!). Boland’s bookstore and the library allow for all students to learn and have the right tools for class. Like all students, Athena sometimes gets bored with work and may like to procrastinate here and there, so occasionally she drifts over to the football field and basketball court to help out her buddy Ares.

W.B. Mason Stadium and Merket Gymnasium: Ares
Ares is the jock of the gods; he’s the god of war and isn’t afraid of any competition, which is why he resides where the varsity sports take place on campus. Ares is there to help out when a big game is coming up so never fear. Trust in Ares carries the team a long way,like our basketball team going to the Final Four!

Cushing-Martin: Hephaistos
Although not as nearly powerful as Zeus, Hephaistos is obviously the reason Stonehill has a wicked awesome shovel museum… … Anyways, Hephaistos, the god of metal work, gives us all the chance to be a true shovel worshipper in the four years we’re on campus… I mean there is probably about fifteen shovels tops on display, so it’s not too hard to make him feel good; all you have to do is show up at Cushing Martin once in a blue moon.

Sem: Hades
Who the “hell” wants to live in the Sem? It’s the true outcast of the campus. Located about a mile from where most classes meet, the Sem is where freshmen live and where Hades resides. Hades, the god of the Underworld, is stuck out in the boonies of campus because no one likes him. Never fear though, there are a few churches over there to keep him under control.

O’Hara Pond: Poseidon
Ever wonder who rules the water? Well Poseidon does that. Poseidon, the god of water takes care of all the bodies of water on campus. Although he sometimes gets lazy during the fall and O’Hara Pond fills up with green goo, it’s okay because he eventually cleans up most of it. Don’t forget to worship him though; if he gets angry the two swans get in a fight and swim to opposite sides of the pond, a true traumatic experience for the students walking by.

Junior and Senior Courts: Dionysus
Ever want to party hard on the weekends? Go to the junior and senior courts where you can find an abundance of intoxicated students, many of which will become your best friend within a matter of seconds due to Dionysus’ wonderful beverages. Dionysus, the god of wine, provides the alcoholic beverages for students to consume on the weekends, but if you worship too hard, a.k.a. if you party like a rockstar, you’ll aggravate him, causing yourself to get transported.

*Photos courtesy of Google Images

Kate McCarthy is  a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. She is a Communications major and a journalism minor. Although she does not know what she wants to do when she graduates, her dream job is having her own talk show and becoming a one woman sensation, like Oprah. At Stonehill, you can find her  winning championships with her intramural basketball team, swimming laps in O'Hara Pond or reading James Patterson novels in the cafeteria. After a semester studying abroad in the Czech Republic, her main goal in life is to travel the world. She is currently interning in Los Angeles, at the Queen Latifah show.