Madison White ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Sophomore Madison White has certainly already made her mark on the Stonehill community. This fall, White began the club Autism Speaks U at Stonehill. Not only was it the first club of its kind at the college, but it was also the first Autism Speaks U collegiate chapter in Massachusetts. As club President, Madison let us know more about the goals and the mission of the club.

How did you get the idea to start Autism Speaks U?
I got the idea to start Autism Speaks U because I worked at a camp for kids with autism this past summer and was doing some research online and stumbled upon an add for raising autism awareness on your college campus. The second I saw it I knew I was going to try to start a chapter at Stonehill.

What are the main goals of the club and your personal ones for the club?
Some main goals for the club are to raise as much awareness as possible. Not only to raise awareness but to educate people on what autism is, how common it is and to change students ideas of what they “think” autism is into the reality of what autism is. I would like Stonehill students to lose their stereotypical views of autistic people by being informed and educated on the disorder.
 My personal goals for the club are to build a solid and powerful club that will be able to continue to grow and make a difference even after I graduate. I would like it to be a club that people want to join, and feel they are making a difference and having a positive impact on the autism community as well as individuals with autism on Stonehill’s campus.

What are your plans for the club/what events have you already done?
Our first big event was the Men’s Senior Day Soccer Game that was dedicated towards Autism awareness. We raised around $250 that went directly to biomedical research. Our second big event we co-hosted with RUCKUS dance team. A few of Stonehill’s dance teams and chorus groups did a performance to help raise Autism Awareness and it was a huge success. Both of these events we hope to make a tradition and do every year. Another big event we will have is having the President of Autism Speaks, Mark Roithmayr, as a guest speaker on February 11th. We also plan on making April (autism awareness month) a big month on campus!

Fast forward to senior year, how do you hope Stonehill has responded to the club? And how do you hope you have made your mark on Stonehill?
Fast forward to Senior year, I hope that Autism Speaks U has made a solid impact on the campus and it’s students. I hope that some underclassmen have stepped up to leadership positions and I can hand over the club to them and feel confident that they are as dedicated and passionate about the cause as much as I am. My hopes are that Autism Speaks U becomes a part of Stonehill and will remain for many years. My hopes that in 20 years from now, when I receive alumni updates, I see that Autism Speaks U is still active on campus and making a difference.

Autism is something people hear about, yet are not fully educated about. What would be one thing you would tell people about autism to get them to be more understanding and aware of the condition?
Many people know almost nothing about autism or have a stereotypical view of what it is. Many think of the movie Rainman when they hear autism, but autism is so much more complex, powerful and common than people think. One in 110 children is affected by autism. People don’t realize that people on the autism spectrum are students at Stonehill. Some of the most successful people in the world are on the autism spectrum, it’s possible that someone in your class is on the spectrum and it is even possible that one of your friends is on the spectrum and you have no idea. It is more common than people think so people should take the time to understand it.

Kate McCarthy is  a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. She is a Communications major and a journalism minor. Although she does not know what she wants to do when she graduates, her dream job is having her own talk show and becoming a one woman sensation, like Oprah. At Stonehill, you can find her  winning championships with her intramural basketball team, swimming laps in O'Hara Pond or reading James Patterson novels in the cafeteria. After a semester studying abroad in the Czech Republic, her main goal in life is to travel the world. She is currently interning in Los Angeles, at the Queen Latifah show.