How To: Rock the Statement Necklace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Being  a fashionista is more than finding glamorous clothes at humble prices. After dedicating time to sifting through bargain racks, a girl should prove that the time and effort was worth it. Buying a dress at Forever 21 for $12.00 to wear only once costs the same as buying a $120.00 dress from Neiman Marcus and wearing it ten times.

When I shop I keep my eye out for versatile pieces that I can envision wearing both in the office and to the club. Though these two venues are opposite in everything from dress code to acceptable behavior, many clothing items can be dressed up or dressed down to meet the standards of both.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Office Wear: Statement necklaces have their place in professional attire. It doesn’t matter how bright the color is or how big the gems are, make sure that it is the focus of your outfit. When wearing this necklace, make sure that all accessories go together. The necklace should be incorporated into the outfit, not just thrown on. Make sure that the shirt you wear underneath is plain and simple, and doesn’t show too much skin where the necklace hits. A white scoop necked shirt that lands at the collar is the perfect option.

Club Wear: The shimmer of the necklace will reflect all of the strobe lights, adding some sparkle to your outfit, and don’t be afraid to wear other flashy jewelry either. There’s no need to make the necklace the sole focus in your club outfit unless you want to. Wearing a lower cut shirt that shows skin under the necklace would also be more appropriate here than in any other venue.

Everywhere in Between: Statement necklaces are great at pulling together every outfit. I definitely recommend them for day-time outfits. My favorite is when the color of the necklace contrasts the outfit, such as a yellow necklace with a turquoise dress or a sea foam green necklace with a purple shirt. I wouldn’t wear flashy earrings. You should instead try to match the necklace to a purse.                                                                                                                                                                                                   *You can purchase this necklace at forever21.com

Kate McCarthy is  a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. She is a Communications major and a journalism minor. Although she does not know what she wants to do when she graduates, her dream job is having her own talk show and becoming a one woman sensation, like Oprah. At Stonehill, you can find her  winning championships with her intramural basketball team, swimming laps in O'Hara Pond or reading James Patterson novels in the cafeteria. After a semester studying abroad in the Czech Republic, her main goal in life is to travel the world. She is currently interning in Los Angeles, at the Queen Latifah show.