Five movies I have to watch before Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

I just have to. They make me immensely happy.  Now I am not saying these are the greatest holiday movies of all time. If they were, then Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Story would have made the cut.

So without further ado, here is my list of personal favorites when it comes to the holiday season.

5. The Holiday (2006)

You had me at Kate Winslet. Add Jack Black, Cameron Diaz and Jude Law to the mix and this potentially forgettable film becomes a very memorable one. Watching the romantic relationships blossom is the draw to The Holiday, but I particularly love the friendship that Iris forms with her new neighbor Arthur.  Although this movie is totally predictable, it is still charming and a must see for me every winter season.

4. Love Actually (2003)

I automatically go into most romantic comedies with the predetermined notion that I will not like it, but like The Holiday this movie is so endearing that it’s almost irritating. Recent imitators like New Year’s Eve and Valentine’s Day tried to the use same ‘Love Actually formula’: a strong cast of leading actors falling in and out of love. Sadly, they failed. Those films were shallow and this film is not. Love Actually has so much heart it is almost overwhelming. The script is touching and the story is executed perfectly by the film’s extraordinary cast. This is the quintessential romantic comedy that is definitely worth a viewing this holiday season.

3. Little Women (1994)

If you have sisters, you most likely have seen Little Women. Even if you have four brothers, I still would highly recommend it. First, you must leave the reality of Winona Ryder and Christian Bale’s personal lives out the door. While these two may not have the best reputations nowadays, they will absolutely dazzle you in this film adaption of Louisa May Alcott’s novel.  Ryder carries this film as Jo, capturing her intelligence, beauty, and spirit. Her relationship with Laurie (Christine Bale) is touching and Susan Saradon does an exceptional job as the girls’ loving mother. It is a timeless movie that is perfect to watch with your family whether it consists of little women or not.

2. Elf (2003)

Elf just further proved that Will Ferrell can do anything. Ferrell is a comedic genius in every way, but he really took a risk with this one. Buddy was a nice change of pace for Ferrell, who usually plays characters with pretty unpleasant and ill-mannered characteristics. Yet in Elf, he plays a loving and compassionate human (who was raised by elves) and pulls it off perfectly. This movie is so funny, heartfelt and unforgettable that it almost deserves to be number one…

1. It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)

However, it cannot be number one because in 1946 It’s a Wonderful Life came out. Unfortunately for me, I lived 20 years of my life without ever seeing this movie because I thought it would be outdated. This is 2013 and everything is supposed to be saturated with color and riddled with unconvincing special effects. Last year, I tried to open my mind by giving this so-called classic a shot. First, I will say do not let the black and white sway you from giving this movie a chance. Nearly sixty-seven years since its release and the message still resonates. Cinematographically and aesthetically speaking, the movie is near perfect. Add Jimmy Stewart as the films protagonist into the mix, and you have an American classic. You will laugh, you will cry and you will think that every other movie you have seen in the recent future was nonsense compared to this. 

http://chocolatephoenix.wordpr…

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt03…