Counting Down to Saturday Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Do you like to laugh? I knew you would say that. Stop depriving yourself of a giggle or two and start preparing for season 41 of Saturday Night Live. You won’t regret it. If you do regret it, feel free to email me and I will kindly redirect you to Lorne Michaels’ office. Here’s a list of 10 things you should know before watching the season premier on October 3rd.

10. Season 40 set the bar high. If there were ever a season for Lorne to feel nervous about its this one. After having an incredible anniversary for 40 seasons, everyone knows its game on for season 41. Cast members and writers need to be brainstorming the hell out of Rockefeller Center if they want to create a historic skit and get an invite to the 80th anniversary when they are old and decrepit.

9. The SNL cast has been developing a stellar resumé. A lot of cast members have been doing individual projects on their off time that will undoubtedly improve their SNL performances. Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are both stars in the upcoming Ghostbusters remake, Colin Jost produced his own movie called Staten Island Summer that starred Bobby Moynihan and Cecily Strong, and Pete Davidson made a cameo in Trainwreck. A wise man once said, “practice makes perfect,” so if you’re wondering how the cast is looking for this year I’d say “ummmm, perfect.”

8. NO ONE’S LEAVING! Despite the various projects and successful accomplishments off the stage, all cast members from season 40 will be returning.  This should make for a cohesive and comfortable-looking show, optimizing the amount of inappropriate content and the ability to make each other look good. 

7. The musical guests literally and figuratively rock this season. Okay so maybe watching Kanye perform “Black Skinhead” didn’t result in the same laughter as watching Kristen Wiig and Fred Armisen perform “Garth & Kat.” I’m not saying I didn’t fast-forward through Iggy Azalea’s performance of “Beg For It,” but I will say the lineup for this season will have me rewinding and replaying the artists over and over.  So far on the list is Miley Cyrus, The Weeknd, and Demi Lovato, and none of them will disappoint- I guarantee it or your money back (stop complaining about musical guests it’s a free show you guys).

6. New kid on the block. Almost every season of SNL brings a few newcomers. This year, there’s only one: Jon Rudnitsky. Jon is a young comedian already well known for some of his impersonations and straight-forward demeanor. It’s always fun watching someone new on the show, and I’m sure Lorne is hoping to balance out the genders. This brings me to the next point:

5. GIRL POWER. If you were unaware, the women of SNL are exceptional. In the words of powerful-girl Tina Fey, “bitches get stuff done.” Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant, Cecily Strong, Sasheer Zamata, Leslie Jones and Vanessa Bayer all have memorable and unique characters and have certainly earned them their spot on the show. Not a single one fades into the background, so step it up fellas and stop making Bobby and Taran carry the team.

4. Miley Cyrus is host of the season premier. Miley’s acting history combined with an innate ability to embarrass herself makes her a star on the stage in studio 8H. This will be her third time hosting the show and she will be expected to create some noteworthy skits. Miley is also the musical guest for this episode, so you were afraid someone would upstage Miley have no fear.

3. The year of the campaign. If there’s one thing you should know about SNL its that a huge percentage of history-making skits occur during a campaign year. Writers and cast members alike excel at making politicians look like fools. I for one get all of my political information from the show, and plan to vote based on whether Beck Bennett plays a better Donald Trump or if Kate McKinnon nails Hillary. Believe it or not SNL has influenced voters before- who knows, maybe Sarah Palin would have been in office if Tina never noticed Russia from her house.

2. Amy Schumer is hosting for the first time. The newly known superstar has been generating international laughter from both her Comedy Central show Inside Amy Schumer as well as her hit rom-com Trainwreck. Amy has already worked with SNL alum including Tina Fey, Bill Hader, and Rachel Dratch, so expect an undeniable chemistry between her and the cast. You can probably also expect the raunchiest of skits because we all known that’s her forte.

1. TRACY’S BACK! If you have an organ that resembles a human brain there is no doubt that Tracy Morgan returning to SNL is the most exciting thing you’ve heard about since the premier of Who Dat Ninja. After a miraculous recovery from a car crash last year, I can only imagine how emotional and special this episode will be. Tune in October 17th or get off planet Earth.