Your Guide to Surviving Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

When it comes to Valentine’s Day, there are 4 types of women in this world:
Women with boyfriends, women in long distance relationships, women with a lucky date, and those fly single ladies. For all 4 of these categories, Her Campus Stetson has made you a simple guideline to ensure that your Valentine’s Day is anything but average.

Women with Boyfriends:

Dress sexy. This is your time to shine. Let’s admit it, being together with someone for a while might cause things to lose a little of their sexiness.  We all know our boyfriends hate it when we wear sticky lip gloss so keep to something subtle perhaps apply Burt’s bees shimmer! Lastly, wear something you feel your best in because when you feel good, you look good. But is it tacky to wear pink and red? When interviewing male Stetson students surprisingly, the common answer was NO! According to Psychology Today “most images that represent passionate love are red: red roses, red lipstick, red lingerie, red heart boxes of candy on Valentine’s Day, and even the “red light district.”

Women in a Long Distance Relationship:

“Distance means so little when someone means so much.” (unknown)
Everyday can be very difficult especially when you are in a long distance relationship. Keep your relationship strong by writing him a handwritten love letter. Believe it or not, they really do appreciate it. Guys love pizza so why not make your man happy! Call up his local Dominoes and ask them for a large pizza with pepperoni placed in the shape of a heart.

Women with a Lucky Date:
First off congrats on landin’ a man for this special evening! But now what? NO WORRIES. Her Campus Stetson has your back. First off, make a statement. Whether you see this man as a future boyfriend, or just as a fun date, it’s important to make this night memorable. Bring something: Maybe a bottle of wine, or even just offering to pay for dinner. This shows that you’re offering to contribute to the night, rather than just looking for a free dinner. Play nice: Keep it classy ladies, first date impressions are huge and can determine if you get a second date! Stick to the rule book, be polite, wear something stunning as opposed to sexy, and keep hair and makeup well groomed and natural for that “girl next door” look. Be confident: Be confident in the way you’re presenting yourself and make sure you let this man know you’re comfortable in your own skin. Studies show that men are attracted to women who show high self-esteem, so WORK IT! Who knows where the night will take you…

Single and ready to mingle:

Ok ladies, it’s up to you… you can either look at this night as a sob fest, or take this opportunity to indulge! Valentine’s Day is all about love so take some time out of your busy day and do something that you love. Pamper yourself: Get your nails done, go to the movies with friends, buy that special pair of shoes! But most importantly, have a girl’s night! We all know deep in our hearts how much we miss the god ole’ days of slumber parties and girl talk, so take a trip back in time and rediscover your inner “Girl.” Pick up a classic boy basher flick such as John Tucker Must Die or cuddle up with your bestie while watching your favorite childhood movies such as Disney princess favorites, Matilda, Mary-Kate and Ashley, Parent Trap, or The Secret Garden. And of course, what’s a girl’s night with out a cocktail? Try making this great Valentine’s Day cocktail:

Valentini

Makes 1 cocktail
Ingredients:

• 1-1/2 ounces raspberry, strawberry, or plain flavored vodka
  • 1 ounce raspberry schnapps
  • Squirt of Lime juice
  • A few fresh raspberries
  • Champagne

Directions: Combine vodka, schnapps, and lime juice in a cocktail and gently shake. Strain into a champagne glass with a few raspberries in the bottom. Fill glass with champagne.