The Oscars: A Hit or Run in the World of Fashion!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Tuning into the Oscars, there are some gowns that I thought truly belonged on the red carpet, and others that shouldn’t have stepped out of the limo! Here are some picks that made powerful statements, good and bad!

I must say, I am definitely not a fan of the red carpet choice from Michelle Williams. In her burnt orange Louis Vuitton gown paired with a pink Bottega Veneta clutch and Forevermark jewels, I feel that the starlet can do much better. The texture of the gown with the little crystal bow on the side makes this celeb look like a newbie to red carpet couture when in reality she is a veteran. Louis Vuitton is one of my fav designers, but either the dress doesn’t match her or her the dress, but regardless Williams could have chosen a better gown for the occasion. However, Williams’ hair and makeup is beautiful for the evening!

Whether there was a wardrobe malfunction or not when presenting, Jennifer Lopez looks stunning in this Zuhair Murad gown. Lopez looks absolutely gorgeous in this silhouette stripped gown and made everyone stop and stare as she walked down the red carpet. With simple illuminating makeup and a tight bun, truly perfection J Lo!!!

Even without a leg showing, Angelina looks fierce as always in her Atelier Versace gown with Neil Lane jewels and Jaime Mascaro clutch. A classy look of black couture with luscious red lipstick, Joie exudes sex appeal with old Hollywood glamour. Also, choosing a wavy tasseled hair style makes this look so simple, that Angelina doesn’t even have to try to look amazing! It seems like this celeb can do no wrong, always making heads turn, and continuing to be on the best dressed list! An absolute favorite of the night!

Hurray for Hollywood! Cameron Diaz certainly knows how to make an entrance in her lovely Gucci’s off-white strapless gown! This dress compliments her in every way. From the shape to the color, this gown has Diaz’s name written all over it! And with her forever favorite pixie cut hairstyle, definitely a top pick for the fashion highlights of the occasion!

Next is Gwyneth Paltrow in a caped Tom Ford gown accessorized with a diamond cuff and a simple ponytail. A cape has never been worn down the red carpet before, and Paltrow is perfect to make the first wave of this stylish trend. Gwyneth always shows up to every occasion in form fitting gowns and tonight was a classic look for her. Very simple yet elegant, igniting the famous saying of less is more!

Even though George didn’t win an Oscar, he still was able to hold a gold figurine right beside him. Stacy Keibler wore a Marchesa’s single-strap gold lamé column gown. This dress very much being couture, however, this was not a top look for me. The hair was the deal breaker in me saying, Keibler can do much better. With a half braid ending for a side sweep wavy hairstyle, I ask what are you thinking? Yet, this is a gown for someone who is very modelesque, which Stacy is.

Sandra Bullock, an American Sweetheart, needs a bit of help with a red carpet masterpiece look. In a beautiful Marchesa dress and Lorraine Schwartz jewels, Bullock would have stolen the night away if the dress would have only fit her in the proper way. With it looking too loose in the top and too tight at the hips, makes this gown a bit of a flop on the red carpet. It is not a complete disaster, however is less than mediocre. We still love you though Sandy!

Lastly, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Rooney Mara, without any tattoos actually looks classically chic in a Givenchy gown! This gown gave such charisma on the red carpet, Mara didn’t even wear any jewelry, it wasn’t necessary, the gown could speak on its own. Not only the color, but also the cuts of the dress create an elegant air on Rooney that this celebrity can even give Angelina a bit of competition, just a bit!!

Did we forget a famous leading lady who was fashionable or fashion road kill? What do you think of these picks?? Send us your comments! We’d love to hear from you!!! xx