you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Making Money on the Side

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

Trying to break out of the stereotype of “broke college student”? Here are some odd jobs and unique ways to make a little money on the side. 

Write Use your mad writing skills to earn a little extra cash. It’s surprisingly easy, and there are lots of different ways you can do it! Submit your pieces to magazines or blogs as a freelance writer for pay, or enter writing competitions and compete for cash prizes.

Submit Photography Just like freelance writing, lots of media outlets take photography submissions and will pay you if accepted! 

Babysitting  If you’re good with kids, I’d highly recommend babysitting as a way to make some extra cash. Not only is the pay rate great, but it can be a pretty consistent job when you get in with a family.

Tutoring Tutoring can make you some great money too! There are lots of parents out there looking for someone to help their kids, and college students are their go-to. Whether it’s in a specific subject, general homework help, or ACT/SAT prep, there are lots of ways to put all that college know-how to work.

Sell some of your old clothes, books, or whatever else online A great way to declutter and make some money is to sell your things online. There are markets for almost everything, so why not give it a try?

Sell crafts or art If you’re artistically talented, why not try to sell some of your works online? Platforms like Etsy or Redbubble give artists lots of freedom to create their works and reach a large population.

Teach lessons Maybe you have another talent, like playing instruments, singing, or dancing, you can use those too! Offering lessons to the local community can be a great side business. Don’t be afraid to put your talents to use!

Junior at St. Catherine University, majoring in psychology.
Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.