Colorful Living According to Kate Spade: Travel Colorfully!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

A girlfriend recently gave me Kate Spade’s new book, “The Guide to Living Colorfully”, and it is fabulous! Comprised of six chapters on how to charm, travel, decorate, think, celebrate, and of course, dress colorfully, her tidbits of advice are simple, thoughtful, and most important, easy to adapt. Each week, I’ll be sending out little snippets of advice from one of the chapters. Just in time for Spring Break (I see those Facebook statuses about booking tickets to Hawaii, Cabo, etc…), here are some of the best tips from Kate on colorful travel.

1. Before you zip your suitcase: pack a cross-body bag to keep your hands free. Also wrap your clothes in white tissue paper spritzed with your perfume! One less bottle to pack.
2. Multitasking accessories: lightweight scarves, a sheath dress, and sparkly sandals.
3. Consider living like a local: look for home and apartment listings on VRBO.com instead of immediately booking a hotel online. Often times these listings are cheaper during peak seasons!
4. Shop efficiently: If you love it and it is in your budget, buy it. If you don’t, you’ll regret it later/forget where you saw it. Don’t waste your precious vacation time wavering on the decision.
5. Get the most out of your vacation: Get up early and stay out late! Grab breakfast at a cafe nearby, but don’t make it one of the biggest events of the day. There’s so much to do and see! Remember, it’s better to pick a select few places to visit in one location, and spend more time enjoying them.
6. Stow away: Pack an empty, thin duffle bag wherever you go. Fill it up with your wares and then check it (or stick it in the overhead bin) on the flight home. It’s not worth it to cram all your goodies amongst your dirty clothes.
7. Start with a book: To spark your wanderlust, Kate recommends On the Road by Jack Kerouac, Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift, Life of Pi by Yann Martel, or Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.
8. Be comfortable: be sure to pack an “easy, go-anywhere pair of sneakers”. Personal recommendation: Keds! They come in all sorts of cute colors, they’re super comfortable, and you can secretly pretend to be 5 years old again.
9. Stay connected: Always research what type of electrical outlets your destination has. To be fully prepared, bring an international adapter to charge your smartphone. It’s a great backup in the event your camera dies!
10. Enjoy the photos you’re in: Don’t pack a bunch of mix and match neutrals! You can still keep things interesting with a little bit of thought. Kate recommends you pack layering pieces in colors that work well together, giving you some room to mix and match. Remember your sunscreen, passport, and flip flops, collegiettes™! Kate Spade’s book is in stores and online for $35.00.

Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!