clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

SVC: A Reflection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

As my time here at SVC is coming to a close, I just wanted to make my last ever HC post a tribute to the school that has shaped me and helped me grow to become all that I am today. So, you’ve all heard it been said that “these next four years are really going to fly by.” Truthfully, it wasn’t until right now that I realized just how fast these days really were going by. I wouldn’t trade my time here for anything however, as I’ve gotten the chance to live out so much life and learn so much about myself over time. Now, let’s take a walk through the next four years.

I remember my first night here like the back of my hand. Everything was so new. It was the first time I had ever been away from home for any length of time; and I really just had no idea what to expect. I was nervous, I mean come on .. I was just thrown into a pod with like 20 other girls who I had never met before and as soon as Monday came around I was supposed to learn about 8 chapters of Microeconomics that I had no idea what to expect. IT WAS STRESSFUL. But, to be honest with you, I was a book worm most of the year .. always keeping my head in the books; not making much time for fun. That’s one thing I would’ve changed.. is to just to get out more. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t stress enough how important finding a balance is. But, it wasn’t until the second semester that I decided to attend my first party. Trust me, this was just the start of the many twists and turns during my own transition into college.

Next up was sophomore year. I actually completely couldn’t stand this part of my college career. This was for mainly personal reasons as there was a lot of drama going on between boys and friends plus we’ve officially passed all of the intro stages to college; so it’s safe to say that things were getting real. This year, I made some mistakes I actually am not proud of but have learned from. This year was critical for me in starting to have real conversations with myself about who I really wanted to be and what path I wanted to take for the rest of my college career/life. Not to worry though, because making mistakes is essential for growing. Remember, it’s not that you fell, it’s how you get back up that counts.

Junior year rolled around and I thought I was the coolest thing in the world. I knew everybody, I had two years under my belt and I was finally an upperclassman. I was a few months off turning twenty-one as well, so I couldn’t wait for this new chapter to my life. Let me tell you though, twenty-one brings its own changes. Aside from the fact that it’s also highly expensive, by second semester I was thinking about finding jobs and completing internships; transitioning for my life as an adult as the real world was coming a-knocking.

Here, we are, senior year and it’s the busiest I’ve ever been. But, this time, I’m ready. I’ve been able to utilize all that I’ve learned in my time here to my fullest. It’s nothing like I’ve ever experienced before, a complete shift in mindset. Fully knowing that this is my last year on campus, I went in deciding to enjoy my time as much as I could. Trying my best but building on my lasting connections. Though hard, between balancing capstone projects, fun, and budgets.. it’s totally doable and I couldn’t be happier with where I’m starting off in life. Thankfully, I’ve been blessed to step into a job a week after graduation and even be awarded for all of my hard work these past four years.

It’s crazy, the people you meet, the unlikely connections you make; but, it was all so worth it. It sounds corny, but honestly SVC is so special. I came in unsure of my decision, choosing a college I had only visited once on a whim but I couldn’t be happier. In the next four years friends, be sure to live life. Don’t be afraid of change. Get involved, because there will never be another time like it. So with that being said, thank you for the best four years of my life SVC. I can’t wait to see where the future takes me. 

Lisa Mason is currently a Junior Marketing major with a minor in Management. She is a member of Activities Programming Board, Women in Business, Singers, and works as an Admissions Ambassador at Saint Vincent College. Since she has a passion for meeting and helping others; she hopes to use her field of Marketing to become a professor as well as become a Marketing Manager of a firm someday in a major city. You can find her enjoying time with her friends, drinking salted caramel cappuccinos, or blogging. Also, it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world to say that she is a Netflix, caffeine, and retail therapy enthusiast. Follow her on Instagram: masonjar_17 and check out her blog at http://youngandtwenty.blogspot.com/.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!