A Letter to my Best Friend who Abandoned Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

We met back in elementary school and instantly became best friends. We had the same interests and thought the same boys were cute. We went to all of the Friday night football games together and gawked at the cheerleaders wishing to be them one day. Once we hit junior high everything changed, for the better. 

We both made the cheerleading squad and ate lunch together every day. We laughed together and cried together and told each other about the boys we liked. After I got a boyfriend, we drifted apart a little bit but I knew you were always there. 

We started high school and were nervous as could be. We worried so much about how we looked, how we talked, how we walked, how we did in our classes. We stopped at each other’s lockers every day and walked to practice together. When I hit my lowest low junior year, you were there to pick me up always. To let me cry on your shoulder and to cheer me up. We had the best week together at the beach making memories to last a lifetime. 

Senior year came and we were inseparable. The terrible three we called ourselves. We had sleepovers every weekend and became captain and co-captains of the cheer squad, just liked we dreamt. We went to Disney World together, it was your first time there and I was privileged to have gotten to experience that with you. May rolled around and we all got our prom pictures together and had the greatest night of our lives. Soon enough graduation was here and we couldn’t believe how quickly time flew by. We both worked a lot in the summer so we never really had much time to hangout. The end of summer approached quickly and I never expected this to happen. 

Freshman year you were always there for me. We still had sleepovers all the time and you came to watch me cheer during football and basketball season. Next year I would get to do this with you by my side. 

Summer was extremely boring. We both worked constantly and hardly ever had time to hangout, but when we did it was always worth it. When sophomore year began I was so excited to see you on campus. But then things changed, this time for the worse. You would get mad at me if I never wanted to hangout but I had already had plans. When I would want to see you, you were too busy with your other friends. Soon enough I realized I was all alone. You were too far out of reach. 

I don’t blame you for wanting to experience college and have fun and meet new people. I just wish we could’ve done it together. All we say to each other is “hey” when we pass on campus and maybe a wave. The girl who was my everything and was always there for me was gone. 

If you’re reading this I miss you so much. I don’t want you to change who you are or drop your life to get closer with me again. I want you to succeed so badly and live your life to the fullest. Thank you for all of the memories and the years we spent as best friends. I’ll love you forever. 

Kolony Miller is a sophomore at St. Vincent College. She is an English Major and Secondary Education Minor. Kolony enjoys Cheerleading for the Bearcats with her newfound family. She has always loved to write and took Journalism classes at Greater Latrobe Senior High School where she became Assistant Editor-In-Chief of the student newspaper, The High Post. Kolony hopes to continue her writing career and maybe one day join the Buzzfeed Team.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!