This Thanksgiving, be Thankful for a Healthy Body Image

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

This week has been full of students across campus waiting anxiously for the start of Thanksgiving Break. It seems that everyone around campus is ready for a break from classes for a few days. It is important to remember as we approach the break that this time is all about people coming together and being thankful for what they have, no matter how little or how much. Something that has been important on campus this week is body image. There are many ways we can go about creating a healthier mindset around body image, and ways to be thankful for the body image we already have instilled in us.

In today’s society body image is a very important issue. Obesity has become an epidemic in our country. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, currently more than one-third of our population is struggling with obesity. But what do obesity and body image have in common? A lot. It is common that people assume that if another person is overweight they have a poor body image; however, this is not the case.

Fat shaming has become an issue, but skinny shaming has as well. There have been a lot of social-media related problems associated with this issue. There was quite an outraged group of women offended by Megan Trainor’s song “All About That Bass”. People were claiming that while she was in full support of larger women loving their bodies, it gave out a negative message about women who have naturally smaller figures. Social media has raised our generation to believe that smaller and skinnier is better. This is a completely unhealthy way to live.

It is important that we learn to love our bodies the way we were made, no matter what the rest of the world has to say. As long as we are staying healthy in both body and mind we will be able to improve our body image. Let’s make sure that all of us ladies here on the Hill make sure to be thankful for a healthy mindset surrounding body image. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Cover photo, Thankful For Photo, Christina Photo, Body Love Photo