StoPro: About That Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

When it comes to writing resumes, a person can easily become overwhelmed. What do I write? What is important to include? What shouldn’t I say? Don’t worry! Resumes are not meant to be a complicated mystery; they are meant to be relatively straightforward.

I once spent a summer as an HR intern and specialized in recruiting. This meant that many, many resumes crossed my desk. Although I temporarily pledged to never read a resume again after that summer, I did find quite a bit of wisdom in the practice of reading them. Here is some of my advice on resume writing.

Formatting Generally, a good rule of thumb is to keep it simple. However, keep the industry to which you are applying in mind. If finance is your game, a standard, clean and classic look is best – you want your resume to highlight, not distract from, your skills. On the other hand, something more creative is appropriate for media or art opportunities, because sometimes this showcases your talent more than words could.

A Word on Objectives The jury is still out on this one, and I honestly am not sure of my exact position on them. Objectives are usually placed on top of the paper and state your intention in submitting the resume. Often, they come off as a bit corny and fake. My philosophy is that the rest of your resume should showcase your skills and should be edited in a way that your intent is clear. The only time I suggest them is at job fairs where recruiters are speaking to hundreds of students in a day. Otherwise, save the space for the meat of your resume and cut the objectives.

Now what about my experiences? When it comes to writing about your work experiences, students are often at a loss of what to do. What do you say about the amazing experience you had this summer? First things first, do not just list your job title and not give a description. This is a chance for you to highlight how AWESOME you are. I usually try and answer three questions in these descriptions. 1.) What did your position entail (what did you do)? 2.) How did you do it (i.e. programs, materials or processes)? 3.) What transferable skills did you learn from this experience? Focus on substantial experience. For example, there is no reason to list the literal duties of being a valet because most people already know. However, you did refine your ability to communicate with many types of people.

The Big Picture Use words to paint your own self-portrait! I like to think of those senior pictures that high school students get where they are smiling, wearing their sports jersey, holding their flute, surrounded by their awards and possibly reading their favorite book. These are the things that shaped you and made you the awesome person that you are. Essentially, your resume should get the same point across! What experiences and skills make you a qualified candidate? Remember to keep is simple, direct and reflective of your best self.

Cover, Resume Writing, Objective, hire me