Life > Experiences

Real Christmas Trees vs. Fake Christmas Trees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Finals are almost over and Christmas is so close! With that comes decorations, Christmas music, giving and receiving and celebrating with loved ones. Before we get any further, let’s focus on the decorating, and more specifically – Christmas trees!  There is nothing better than seeing a beautifully lit-up tree during the holiday season, except for the smell of pine. For this reason among many others, I prefer real Christmas trees! Here’s why:

1. It’s a more authentic “do-it-yourself” way to deck the halls. Whether you’re going somewhere to buy a real tree or cutting it down yourself, the process is a lot more fun than retrieving the annual fake tree from the basement storage closet.

2. The smell! The smell of pine and cookies baking are a token of the holiday season, so why not join in?  It’s refreshing and a constant reminder of this wonderful season.  Granted, some people are allergic, but if you aren’t, you should enjoy the fantastic aroma and get a real tree!

3.If you are environmentally conscious, many argue that real trees are a better choice! Although fake trees are reusable, they are made of polyvinyl chloride, one of the most harsh and non-renewable plastics.  While real trees can potentially harm the environment in various ways as well, it is possible to avoid these negative factors.

Opinions aside, real or fake, the best part of a Christmas tree is decorating it and making it your own!  Make sure to adorn your tree with lights, ribbon, homemade or store-bought ornaments, and a shiny star on top.  Have a Merry Christmas and relaxing Winter Break!

Cutting down a tree, Pine, Greener Holiday, Decorated Tree