Ole Fit: Athlete of the Week Sheridan Blanford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.
Meet Sheridan Blanford!
1. Hometown: Aurora, Colorado
2. Major: Activities and Sports Administration with concentrations in Race and Ethnic Studies and Educational Studies
3. Sport/Position: Women’s Basketball – Power Forward
4. Favorite music to work out to: Depending on the mood, I will listen to Gospel music or Hip Hop music.
5. Best sports memory: Winning the league championship my senior year in high school. It was the first time in the school’s history that the women’s basketball team had won that title!
6. Favorite part of playing on a college sports team: The competitive level at which we compete it. All of the teams within the MIAC have their own individual strengths, so there is never an ‘easy’ team we play against.
7. Inspirational athlete?: My aunt, Rhonda Blanford Green. She was an All -American hurtler who graduated from the University of Nebraska and had the opportunity to compete in the Olympic trials on two seperate occasions. On a more current note, I am inspired by Kobe Bryant. All of the times of adversity and injuries he has encountered during his career, has really shown perserverance in him to be the amazing athlete he is today.
8. Any pregame rituals or superstitions?: Before the team warm up, I have to listen to three gospel songs while I am doing my individual warm up.
9. Favorite food after a hard practice: I like to eat anything :) But if I had to choose, it would be a steak or shrimp alfredo
10. Other extracurriculars or activities you’re involved in on campus: TRIO McNair Scholar, Agnes A Cappella
11. Any sports-related advice?: I’ve been through many ups and downs, that incclude injury and recovery, during my sports career, but I wouldnt be the woman I am today without those trials and tribulations. It has taken a lot of strength, perserverance and hard work to be where I am today, but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.
Sheridan was also the top scorer in her game against Carleton on December 12th! Way to go, Sheridan.