Ole Abroad (Dan): Great food, not great results

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Marhaba!

Entering my seventh week at AUC, was a really great time except for a couple of things. I got sick this week, most likely a combination of sleep deprivation and eating something that probably wasn’t very clean. I decided to got with a couple of friends to Mohandiseen, which is a neighborhood in Cairo.

We decided to go shopping in a more local shopping area and then eat the local fare. The food was absolutely delicious. We had Kebab, Kofta, Baba Ghanoush, Hummus, and some great bread. But unfortunately the next day I did not feel very well and I am pretty sure it was the food.

On a more academic note, school continues to be going well and most of the classes are still giving me many assignments. This three week period is AUC, which is the midterm week area known to be brutal. But I think I have survived fairly well. I had many papers and tests, especially in Arabic.

For more fun and exiting news, one friend recently had his birthday on a boat which was a lot of fun. It was a great way to end the hard academic week. I mostly hung out with my friends Maereen, Heba and Aaisha. We danced a lot! We really enjoyed the Nile at Night and the Cairo’s skyscrapers lit up by the night sky.

It was a fun week full of friends and great food. Even if the food did not provide nice results the next day. Ma’asalama!

My friends Mareen and Heba on the boat

*Daniel Sacerio ’13 is studying at the American University of Cairo in Cairo, Egypt  for the whole year. He majors in  Sociology/Anthropology and Middle East Studies.

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.