Meet Laura and Wilbur Mascotti

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

With finals quickly approaching, many students are looking forward to the end of semester event “Paws for Finals.” For anyone who has been to this event before, Wilbur Mascotti is a familiar face. Although Wilbur was unreachable for comment this week, his owner, Laura Mascotti of the Office of Student Activities (OSA), was able to speak on his behalf. 

Laura first started as an Administrative Assistant in the OSA at St. Olaf in October of 2007. Wilbur made his first on-campus appearance that same year at a football game! 

Laura explained, “Wilbur and I love going to all of the campus events and wish that we had time to go to them all! Wilbur’s favorite event to go to is obviously Paws for Finals, but the entire year is filled other fun events too. That’s why I love working at a college!” 

The eight-year-old dachshund is very fashion-forward and is never seen around campus without some kind of outfit on.

“His favorite outfit is his Santa costume, because he always gets a lot of attention when he wears it. However, his Um Yah Yah shirt is a close second!” said Laura.

Wilbur has a wide range of tricks, including sit, shake, roll-over, play dead and stay. He is more than willing to demonstrate any of these for those who hold his favorite treats, Bill Jack treats or Pig Ears! 

Laura can be found in the OSA during the school week, interacting with and helping students find the resources to put their events together (as well as handing out free candy and popcorn to anyone who wants it!). While Laura is at work, Wilbur can be found either at home watching squirrels out the living room window, or “Lucky Dog” on the TV.

Photos provided by Ali Hinchcliffe.

Jessica is a senior at St. Olaf College majoring in English with concentrations in media studies and Middle Eastern studies. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing and editing news stories, and encouraging younger Oles to express their skills and talents through writing. She also is an editor for the school's student newspaper, The Manitou Messenger, and a writer for the college's marketing and communications office. In her (limited) free time, she enjoys eating pita and hummus from the Cage, curling up in a Buntrock window seat with a good book, and checking things off her senior bucket list.