This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Women are faced with the toughest realization in a long time. We thought equal rights for women was a work in progress; however, the results from this past election appear to retrogress our country. This election proved the evidence of white male supremacy in our society. This election showed that a white man will be chosen over a woman– no matter her qualifications, ambitions, or intelligence–every time. In this election, America did not chose a qualified woman for president because the world “woman” followed “qualified.”  But this election cannot take away our hope or our flare. It cannot take away the spark each woman has within her to fight. We cannot halt our efforts and we cannot let men put us below them. We are equal. We are strong. We are women.

Here are 10 female role models in this male dominated world.

1. Ellen DeGeneres

She is a woman who not only advocates for women’s rights but LGBT rights. She is all about empowering others because people are people. image-hcxo_croppable_embed” src=”/sites/default/files/styles/hcxo_croppable_embed/public/2016/11/10/tumblr_mj3q43Gnrl1qamkolo1_500.jpg?itok=wbmVIKck” />

2. That Woman…

You know which one I am talking about. You see her every day getting coffee or reading the newspaper. You may look up to her for her confidence talking to her friends or her “Feminist Killjoy” shirt. Maybe she can rock 4 inch heels or always carries around a Quantum Mechanics textbook. You watch her and think, “Wow, she has her life together.”  She just has this air about her of respect, power, professionalism. You respect her. She is your role model.

3.  J.K. Rowling

J.K. Rowling is the ultimate feminist. Her own success with the Harry Potter novels paints her as a woman to model ourselves after. Moreover, through her novels, she showed the world a group of females with nerve, with brains, with power, with energy, with love. She showed that, in a world where women are constantly torn down for our gender, we can be rise up.

“Very early on in writing the series, I remember a female journalist saying to me that Mrs. Weasley, ‘Well, you know, she’s just a mother.’ And I was absolutely incensed by that comment. Now, I consider myself to be a feminist, and I’d always wanted to show that just because a woman has made a choice, a free choice to say, ‘Well, I’m going to raise my family and that’s going to be my choice. I may go back to a career, I may have a career part time, but that’s my choice.’ Doesn’t mean that that’s all she can do. And as we proved there in that little battle, Molly Weasley comes out and proves herself the equal of any warrior on that battlefield.”

4. These Amazing Women who SPEAK OUT

Watch these strong, successful women give a range of TED Talks at: http://www.ted.com/talks/tags/women

These women are pioneers in their fields. They prove that having two X chromosones does not make a woman mediocre. They do not let doubts about their gender stop them. They give incredibly inspirational talks. These talks are worth the watch, especially during such a feminism backslide.

5. Your mom, your teacher, your best friend…

These are the women in your life who are real world role models. They do not live a life of luxury like all those celebrities but still empower those around them. They are single moms or working women. They are independent and strong. They fight for their beliefs and persevere through times of trouble. They are the women you strive to become.

6. Emma Watson

Whenever you doubt your power as a woman, watch this awe-inspiring speech of feminist, Emma Watson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-iFl4qhBsE

7. The Ultimate Duo: Tina and Amy

I just had to put these two rockin’ ladies together. They are both hilariously funny and successful, paving the way for female comedians everywhere. If you get a chance, I highly recommend their memoirs: Bossy Pants by Tina Fey and Yes Please by Amy Poehler.

.tumblr mj3q43Gnrl1qamkolo1 500

8.Lena Dunham

This is a woman who has taken the definition of “feminism” and proved its power.

“The idea of being a feminist: so many women have come to this idea of it being anti-male and not able to connect with the opposite sex, but what feminism is about is equality and human rights. For me that is just an essential part of my identity.”—Lena Dunham

9. Hillary Clinton

“A vote for Trump is a vote against women” is a statement heard throughout the nation this past year. Trump has bragged about committing sexual assault, degrades women, calling them “pigs” and “dogs”, says women who have had abortions should face legal punishment, and treated Hillary during the election inhumanely. But Hillary, even through her painful loss, was a poised, dignified professional. This woman is a role model for all woman. Her nomination alone is a victory in itself. Never before have we had a female run for such a high position in office. She shattered the glass ceiling, despite her loss. Hillary, a female, ran for president. The world scrutinized her for being a woman. At one point, I even heard the attack on Clinton that she would be emotionally unstable during her time of month. However, through the muck of idiocy, the slime of sexism, the midst of misogyny, Hillary persevered. Despite which candidate got your vote, Hillary is a symbol of feminism. She stood up in her pantsuit and proved that she deserved to be there. Even though she lost, she represents a hope for all women.

10. You

Why not you? Be the role model you hope to see in the world. Be someone girls everywhere can look at and say, “Wow, she has her life together.” Be the pioneer in your field. Take risks. Make men angry because you are strong. Surprise people with your intelligence, your wit, your talent, your strength, your persistence. This is the time, now more than ever, that women need to step up and prove themselves. We live in a male-dominated world. We live in a world where men are seen as better than women. Men are seen as smarter and wiser and stronger. Our world is not fair, it is not equal, and it is not just. But people like you can change this. You can show the world the power of women. You can be a role model.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1116731/images/o-FEMINISM-facebook.jpg

Kailey is from Crystal Lake, IL. She is a first year at St. Olaf College and loves When Harry Met Sally, the color yellow, and chocolate.