You know you’re in Canton when…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

You Know You You’re in Canton When…

People post signs for their missing cows- Yes, missing cows is a normality here in Canton. Everywhere you drive, you pass fields full of cows, so it’s not much of a surprise when one goes missing.

Your Local Ice Cream Shop is Closed from October to May- Due to the winter temperatures hitting the NoCo a little earlier than most towns, ice cream season ends earlier as well. We’ll miss you Morgan’s!

St. Lawrence Ice Hockey Games are a full family, and town, affair!-  Oh when the Saints go marching in, all of Canton has to be there! All home games at Appleton turn into a full house for our skating Saints.

There’s a horse and buggy parked next to you at Walmart and Price chopper- Don’t be surprised if when you pull into a parking spot, you pull up next to a horse and buggy. Hey, our amish need somewhere to park too!

You can see the stars clearly at night- Because of our extremely rural location and far distance from any major city, the stars on a clear night are unimaginable.

There’s no McDonalds :(- Well, there used to be, but once you trek this far up north, don’t expect too many chain restaurants (ex: chipotle, starbucks, panera, etc).

There are sidewalk sales EVERYWHERE- In such a  quaint little town with not many shopping options, street and sidewalk sales are so much fun! Go check out the farmers market in town on Saturdays- the amish sell some pretty sweet handmade items!

And most importantly, St. Lawrence pride is EVERYWHERE!- With a town as isolated and small as Canton, its hard not to have St. Lawrence Pride! The community comes to support all the SLU sporting events, concerts, musicals, and more. Thanks for letting us Saints call you home, Canton!

A first year at St. Lawrence University, squash player, PCA Major from New York City.