Legally Blonde: SLU Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Now that we’ve been back for a couple weeks, I’m sure everybody has been wondering what the St. Lawrence musical is all about! This year’s musical is Legally Blonde, and I was lucky enough to get an interview with the amazing lead of the show, Jill Andrews.

Q: What’s it like playing Elle Woods in the musical?

A: It’s really exciting! I’ve done theater my whole life and to get a lead role in this musical is a really exciting opportunity for me.

Q: How did you know that you wanted to start acting and singing?

A: I started acting in the first grade and I loved it so much, and then I went on to perform with the Syracuse Opera Company all throughout high school.

Q: Is there something you wished you had known before trying out for the musical?

A: No, I knew what was ahead, and I rehearsed from 7-10 p.m every night leading up to it. I was aware of the responsibilities that were to come if I were to land a big role, so I prepared to manage my time and I put in 100%.

Q: What has been the best part about the process so far?

A: Meeting the cast and working with everyone has been amazing. I don’t know what I would do without them; they have all been such a crucial part of the show and I am so thankful to work alongside everyone. I didn’t know a lot of people coming into the musical, but now I’ve gotten to know everyone, including Jen, Carey, Samantha and Matt (who plays the lead guy)! They’ve been so wonderful to work with and they make each rehearsal fun and exciting!

Q: Do you get nervous thinking about opening night?

A: I get a little nervous, but honestly, some nerves are good. They make you excited about performing and really help you focus. Everyone knows the premise of Legally Blonde, so there’s a lot of pressure in that aspect, however I am extremely confident in the cast and everyone helping to put the production together. I know that it’ll turn out amazing!

Q: Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about trying out for a SLU Musical?

A: Definitely make big choices and give it all you got! Be confident in your skin because you only have one chance, and the director wants someone who’s really confident and who genuinely cares about the performance!

Q: Would you ever consider acting and singing as a career path?

A: I love acting and singing but it’s not the lifestyle that I want. It’s a lot of auditions and working side jobs in between each gig, but who knows.

Q: What other extracurricular activities are you involved in on campus?

A: I’m the philanthropy chair for Kappa Kappa Gamma, and I’m also in the Laurentian Singers. We rehearse 3 times a week, and we are currently working on our tour music because we are planning a trip to Cuba. I’m also a Performing and Communications Arts Major, so that keeps me busy!

Q: How has your experience been overall performing for St. Lawrence?

A: I’ve done the past three shows and I cannot emphasize enough how great it was to work with everyone involved. There are so many talented people in this musical, especially the girls playing the ‘Delta Nu’ roles because they are so excited that it’s contagious to everyone on stage and in the audience.

After having sat down and talked to Jill, it’s clear how passionate she is about this musical and her leading role. Not only is she dedicated and hardworking, but throughout the interview she continued to rave about every actor working alongside her. I strongly encourage everyone to come out and support the SLU Musical Thursday-Saturday, November 3-5, 8 pm AND Sunday, November 6, 2 pm.