Finish Strong: How to Survive the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

The end of the calendar year and the end of the semester are both rapidly approaching, and the excitement of the holidays and winter break often outweigh academic motivation. But you have worked so diligently throughout the semester and you know, deep down inside, that you have to finish strong! Feeling a little lost or overwhelmed about how to do just that? Here is a little guidance to help you not only survive but thrive during the end of the semester.

Plan ahead – The end of the semester is the time of year when busy work becomes larger assignments and individual presentations become important group projects. Look ahead at your impending assignments and plan ahead so that you are not overwhelmed when all of these deadlines hit!  

Manage your time – whether you are the type of person who needs to make a schedule that is blocked down to the minute, or someone who simply needs to make a weekly to-do list, it is important to manage your time effectively especially as academic work becomes harder and more overwhelming.

Make sure your priorities are appropriate – We all love to have fun! But, sometimes academics are going to feel like they are taking over, and we should let them. Surviving the end of the semester means putting everything we have left into our work, and sometimes that means other activities might have to take a back seat.

Meet with your professors – Be proactive and take advantage of opportunities to ask questions of get additional guidance. You will thank yourself in the long run.

Get your sleep! – enough said.

Keep exercising – the feeling of constantly being under a time constraint is normal during the end of the semester and especially during finals week, and for many people, exercise is the first to be sacrificed. But don’t! Exercise is so important for our mental and physical well-being, and will actually help you to be more productive while studying.

Give yourself breaks – whether it is a holiday event, a coffee date with a friend or significant other, or even a quick nap, remember that your body and mind cannot study 24/7. It is actually more effective to study in increments, so don’t deny yourself breaks to attempt to study constantly.

Keep your chin up – stay confident that you can finish the semester strong and earn the final outcomes you have been working so hard for. When you’re feeling especially overwhelmed, remember that you aren’t alone! Everyone on campus is feeling similarly to you, and you can get through it all together.

.