6 Reasons to Travel to Peru

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

In January of 2017, the department of Campus Ministry went on a two-week trip with the students, at St. Kate’s to Peru. Now, if you don’t know much about Peru, you out to know that it is a country located in South America on the coast, right above Chile, and touching its eastern border is Brazil and Bolivia. Throughout this trip, students immersed with the culture and traveled to different areas of the country. I’ve spoken to students who went on the trip and here are the reasons they say you should keep your ears open for the next Campus Ministry trip to Peru.

Views for Days

If you have never seen gorgeous, huge, greener than recycling bin mountains, with alpacas trolling around them in a herd, then you must travel to Peru!

Generous People

Handshaking is a no-no. Now, this may be out of some folks’ comfort zone, but Peruvians hug and give a peck on the cheek! It’s a nice and welcoming gesture. They as well let you immerse with their cultural clothing.

Food for the Soul

Peru is food friendly to all-types of eaters! Vegan or vegetarian? They got a plate for you! As well for meat-eaters, this ‘Lomo Saltado’ is a quite must-have cuisine!

Colorful Culture

Peruvian dances will get you on your feet! There are festive traditional festivals, marches, and so much more in which all people of ages participate in. The colors of the garments and the style of each piece is so incredibly appealing to the eye, just like this beautiful flag of Cusco (a state in Peru).

Alpacas! Need We Say More?

They spit in your face and do high kicks when they’re feeling targeted, yet they’re still one of the most important animals in Peru. Peruvians take care of alpacas like their own children.

Pisaq, Ollantaymbo Macchu Picchu…

Ancient ruins that leave you thinking, “How in the world did a human being do this?” When you see Peru, it reassures you that there is nothing compared to the beauty of this magnificent place called Earth.

There’s so much to see just on the western side of the world! If this sounds like an experience you’d love to have make sure to check out studying abroad opportunities to Peru.

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.