andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Prepare for Studying Abroad in Paris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Studying abroad is an exciting, fantastic opportunity that thankfully most universities offer. The idea of getting to travel to a new place while completing college credit is almost too good to be true. Imagine studying for a French exam while enjoying croissants et café (croissants and coffee) at a chic spot in one of Paris’s 20 arrondissements (neighborhoods). It sounds like a dream, non? Well, for those of you lucky enough to be travelling to the City of Lights or hope to in the future, here’s a few tips for you to check out before you’re on your way.

1. Travel apps exist for a (really good) reason.

Just like New York City, Paris has many different sections and has a system of public transportation to get you where you need to go. Who could live without the NYC Subway app? For Paris public transportation, check out apps such as Paris Metro and Walc. Paris Metro is like the NYC Subway app in that it has a map of all the metro routes and a route planner to show you all the ways to get from point A to point B. Walc is useful for its detailed, step-by-step walking directions.

2. Do some research on the arrondissements you will be studying in or travelling to.

Want to know what the best restaurants, shops and points of interest are in your Parisian neighborhood? Many websites and blogs can offer this information, but one in particular is ParisPerfect.com’s guide to the best neighborhoods (http://www.parisperfect.com/paris-neighborhoods.php). The website also offers information on markets, landmarks, museums, gardens and more fun things to see and do throughout Paris. Fun fact: St. John’s Paris Campus is located within the 6th arrondissement! 

3. Read up on weather conditions for the time of year you’ll be visiting.

Packing is, of course, an essential part of travelling, but every country has different weather conditions depending on what time of year you’ll be visiting. FranceTravelGuide.com has information on everything from Paris weather throughout the year to what you should (and shouldn’t) wear during your visit. What you choose to wear depends not only on the weather conditions but the local culture. For example, the website recommends women to wear light cotton scarves over the shoulders while visiting places such as cathedrals. Of course, it all depends on what you deem appropriate and what you’re comfortable with. Check out their guide on what to wear in the summer here: http://www.francetravelguide.com/what-to-wear-in-france-in-the-summer.html.

4. Have some fun with your look whether it’s American- or French-inspired.

Picking up a copy of Paris Vogue or any French fashion magazine is not only good for getting some style inspiration, it’s also a good way to practice your French! According to Paris Vogue, the hottest trends for spring and summer are metallic accents, loafers, bold sunglasses and pops of color. You may not be a Parisian, but why not dress the part?

5. Pick up some maps, guide books and pocket dictionaries.

Bookstores, such as Barnes & Noble, have a large selection of international travel guide books, maps and dictionaries. Especially for a popular tourist location like Paris, there are books for everything from the best food places to hidden treasures

Brenna is a sophomore at St. John's University studying journalism and sport management. She crossed the Hudson to pursue her dream of being a sports journalist and whatever else the universe leads her to be.
Contributor Account